Going to the Keys next week - advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyberfed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My girlfriend and I are going on a 4 day diving trip this Sunday - Wednesday to the Key's, can anyone recommend some good dive charters to go on? We don't have any particular key in mind we are flexible. I've heard Key Largo is the best Key for diving.
I read the sticky thread and boy there are a lot of choices!

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Looking for some fun dives with lots of fish, my girlfriend is newly certified as of this coming Saturday so I want to take her on some fun simple dives.
I have never dove the key's myself but I hear its great! Some reefs and wreck dives would be awesome as well!

Thanks and if anyone is planning on being down there let me know we can meet up! :)

Cheers

The Eagle, Duane, and Speigel Grove are the "don't miss" wrecks along with the Benwood at night.
If you want big animal encounters, your best bet is doing drift dives on the drop-offs of any of the major reefs (Molasses, French, Crocker, Davis, Victory, etc.).
For maximum fish encounters (think of so many fish it obscures the sun :)), you can't beat Snapper Ledge, Secret Gardens, or Pickles reef systems.

For charter ops, you won't go wrong with Conch Republic or Silent World. They both run safe charters and have clean, fast boats. Just be aware you'll probably need AOW certification and/or recent deep dive experience to dive those deeper wrecks with any operator (I make that statement with your safety in mind as well).

Not sure what dives your looking to do, but for your convenience our interactive calendar is posted on our website, or just click here. On-Line Calendar. Not only can you see where we're going, but you can see what the dive conditions have been, and if you'd like book on-line as well.

Whoever you dive with, I hope you have a great time while in the Keys. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Good Diving,

My girlfriend and I are going on a 4 day diving trip this Sunday - Wednesday to the Key's, can anyone recommend some good dive charters to go on? We don't have any particular key in mind we are flexible. I've heard Key Largo is the best Key for diving.

Looking for some fun dives with lots of fish, my girlfriend is newly certified as of this coming Saturday so I want to take her on some fun simple dives.
I have never dove the key's myself but I hear its great! Some reefs and wreck dives would be awesome as well!

Thanks and if anyone is planning on being down there let me know we can meet up! :)

Cheers

I'm down the same time. We are diving with Conch Republic. We are diving mostly wrecks. Check their calendar as Capt. Gary suggested. It should be some great diving.

The deep wrecks (Spiegel/Bibb/Duane/Eagle) are not really appropriate for brand new divers. If you want to introduce your girlfriend to (low stress) wreck diving, take her to the Benwood instead. Enjoy!

That's very sage advice :)

Not sure what dives your looking to do, but for your convenience our interactive calendar is posted on our website, or just click here. On-Line Calendar. Not only can you see where we're going, but you can see what the dive conditions have been, and if you'd like book on-line as well.

Whoever you dive with, I hope you have a great time while in the Keys. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Good Diving,

Hey Gary I really like that log feature

Cheers

We just got back from Key Largo on Monday - the current on the Duane is hideous. But the Benwood was fabulous.

The deep wrecks (Spiegel/Bibb/Duane/Eagle) are not really appropriate for brand new divers. If you want to introduce your girlfriend to (low stress) wreck diving, take her to the Benwood instead. Enjoy!

+1, or even shallower, the City of Washington, one of my favorites down there by far.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom