Goliath Grouper aggregation '23?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question.
Aggregation is between July and October? When is the peak period?

I've had the best luck from about mid-August through mid to late-September.

The Castor deteriorated somewhat as a Goliath Grouper aggregation site after Hurricane Matthew knocked off the bow to the starboard side at the end of 2016, but is still a very good dive

How's about MG111?

MG111 was a prime aggregation site last year, but that doesn't mean it will be this year. Some years they are on the Ana C (part of the Corridor Wreck Treck) in Palm Beach, sometimes they are on the Jupiter Wreck Treck. It's hard to know until they show up.

I did 2 weekends last year both on the Castor and Bud Bar. Both had a nice gathering of the goliaths. The first weekend my buddy and I "picked up a chick" on the Castor for some reason she followed us around the wreck for about 15 minutes even followed us to the anchor line when we were getting ready to ascend. was both cool and disturbing at the same time LOL.

MG111 was a prime aggregation site last year, but that doesn't mean it will be this year. Some years they are on the Ana C (part of the Corridor Wreck Treck) in Palm Beach, sometimes they are on the Jupiter Wreck Treck. It's hard to know until they show up.
I did 2 dives in Sept on the MG111 last year, and there wasn't as many as I'd seen in previous years. Unlucky I guess :(

I did 2 dives in Sept on the MG111 last year, and there wasn't as many as I'd seen in previous years. Unlucky I guess :(
I saw plenty on the MG last fall. I think I dove it twice and saw a few dozen each time. I remember them being off to the east of the barge and on the east and west edges of warrior reef. Very few on the barge itself.

There was a ton on the MG111 the September weekend where we had a ton of surge due to the hurricane out in the Atlantic.

But we had a lot of slack currents last year, and so far it appears if there isn't a current the Groupers scatter once the first diver hits the wreck.

There was a ton on the MG111 the September weekend where we had a ton of surge due to the hurricane out in the Atlantic.

But we had a lot of slack currents last year, and so far it appears if there isn't a current the Groupers scatter once the first diver hits the wreck.
You’re right. The GG’s won’t aggregate unless there’s a current. They tend to spread out during slack currents and you may only see a few at a site. I dove the Castor in August last year - no current. Only saw a few GG’s. It was fun to swim the Castor stern to bow and back again though!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom