Goliath Grouper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdombrowski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just re-posting a photo I originally put in basic discussion section.

I shot this in the Dry Tortugas last June. This fish was unusually friendly... just like a Nassau Grouper. It followed us for 30 minutes. I shot stills, while my buddy shot video.

I've only seen this once since making 100+ dives in the Tortugas in the last four years. He must have been very lonely. ;-)

Brian

I noticed that many of the big grouper seem to be 'friendly'.

Here's one I shot while we were diving at Looe Key last month. Not quite as good as yours though. This one was only about 3 or 3.5' long. This one followed us around like he wanted to be fed (I think).

aaf.sized.jpg

That's a real good pic Jim. Close!

Did you dive the Adolphus Busch while you where in Looe Key?

Brian

Me and a friend wanted to but we got over-ruled since everyone else wanted to stay shallow. The only wreck I got to do was Alexander's wreck.

Oh well, there's always next time. We are going to Bonaire in January and then back to the Keys sometime in the summer:wink: . We love it down there.

cool pics, but did you know they are quite dangerous?

saw aquanauts on sky last year with the free diving nutters and the dude with the long hair got attacked by one and it swallowed his forearm right up to the elbow, he almost drowned!!

Don't believe everything you see! Manny, the long haired embarrassment to the marine world (and beyond) goes for outlandish tricks and air time, not accuracy. If you see that footage again, you'll notice he is hanging on to the groupers gills and it's actually Manny that is shaking the fish...not the other way around!

We swim among the Groupers here in the Caribbean waters and the worse thing that will happen is a Goliath Grouper will thump you (swift change in water compression) when in his territory.

We fear the palm sized Damsels and Triggerfish far more!!

if you were that big. Its similar to humans, the little guys with chips on their shoulders are the ones you generally have to watch our for. The dudes that are huge have nothing to prove. Watchout for those triggerfish!

Great pictures of Goliath Groupers, Jim and Brian! Very friendly!!

Dee, your pictures are very interesting. Checking my fish ID.

"Whassup" in the Roatan 2002 series is a Nassau Grouper.

crispos once bubbled...
Great pictures of Goliath Groupers, Jim and Brian! Very friendly!!

Dee, your pictures are very interesting. Checking my fish ID.

"Whassup" in the Roatan 2002 series is a Nassau Grouper.

You're exactly right!

Back
Top Bottom