Question Gonna learn diving with keratoconus in my right eye - seeking for help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi, I've been having keratoconus in my right eye for at least 9 years and have been wearing RGP since it was diagnosed. It's been stable for these years n my left eye hasn't been affected. I was told that diving is one of the prohibited activities I could do but I really, really love the sea, so I still decide to learn diving this month. But since some articles n discussions point out that squeezes of goggles or masks due to pressure undersea may cause a rupture in the corneal, I wonder if there are any suggestions on brands or designs of goggles that may alleviate that problem... I will wear my RGP underwater~ And if u have any good tips for diving with keratoconus, I'd very glad to hear from u! Thank you very much!

I wear scleral RGP lenses for a different reason. I have fluctuating astigmatism and the lenses stabilize it. I have no problem diving. You have a different diagnosis so if you are looking for a second opinion, contact DAN for an ophthalmologist who understands dive medicine. It not about any particular style mask, it’s about your eye. It’s not worth having more problems if you are told not to dive. Good luck. Hope it turns out in your favor.

Hi, I've been having keratoconus in my right eye for at least 9 years and have been wearing RGP since it was diagnosed. It's been stable for these years n my left eye hasn't been affected. I was told that diving is one of the prohibited activities I could do but I really, really love the sea, so I still decide to learn diving this month. But since some articles n discussions point out that squeezes of goggles or masks due to pressure undersea may cause a rupture in the corneal, I wonder if there are any suggestions on brands or designs of goggles that may alleviate that problem... I will wear my RGP underwater~ And if u have any good tips for diving with keratoconus, I'd very glad to hear from u! Thank you very much!
Hi @CheeseFoam ,

You already pointed out the risk of diving with keratoconus. I don't know enough about eyes to tell you how much your rigid gas-permeable lenses will mitigate that risk; I'm sure there is individual variability though. I would point out the difference between a mask and goggles - a mask covers the eyes and the nose to allow for pressure equalization, while goggles cover only the eyes and are used strictly for surface swimming.

If your ophthalmologist considers you to be at particularly high risk for corneal rupture, one option might be a full face mask, since the pressure in those is maintained at or very near ambient pressure just by the act of breathing. FFMs are not taught in basis scuba classes so you would need additional training in order to use one safely, but it might be something worth considering.

Finally, take this reply with as much salt as you need to. Your ophthalmologist is in the best position to give you advice on diving; if he or she is not familiar with the physics involved, recommend you follow @Bratface 's recommendation to contact DAN.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom