Good, affordable tropical reg set recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a tropical trip coming up and love excuses to buy new gear... also, our cold-water Dive Rite regs are heavy and require an uncomfortable yoke adapter. So, I am looking for a good-but-not-crazy-good, light, warm water yoke reg set. As far as technical requirements go, I'd like 2 HP ports. Other than that I am pretty flexible as long as it's quality gear.

Thanks a bunch if you have any recommendations.

I love the way you can configure a package with the exact hoses you like at Dive Gear Express, but they don't have any tropical gear... any other sites that offer that service?

Edge Epic non cold fits the bill with the two HP ports. Other than being able to choose hoses over std length. I mean you can but it'll cost you extra.
I dive one for warm water and pool work sometimes. But in reality the sealed is only a few bucks more.

If you did not need two HP ports the Edge EXP is nice, high performance reg with a great price. My GF dives one and I would not put her on anything I would not dive myself.

Last edited:
Thanks, Jim. I looked at the EXP and it does seem like a great value. 2 HP ports is not necessarily a solid requirement if the rig is good otherwise and priced right.

The Edge stuff comes with nylon hoses too, which seems nice... I'm familiar with Miflex hoses, do you know how the Edge nylon hoses compare? (However, I'd need a 5' hose on the primary, so I may still have to eat the price of the included hose.)

To be honest I do not. I have not seen or used a miflex. If you do need a 5ft to loop I am going to suggest you go rubber. I don't even sell a hose over 40 inches in the braided. Reason is they feel like real fine sandpaper on the bare skin and they tend to grab those little hairs on the back of your neck. They are also very floaty. In std length they are ok from whatever mfg you get them from. The Edge hoses are as tough as any and I have only had one LP hose come back. It was leaking at the 1st stage but the customer admitted it might have been a handling issue.

I have been made aware though that some of the braided hoses may be going away. It seems that Miflex is starting to take action to really enforce their patent and may be forcing other brands to pay a royalty or spend big bucks to prove why they are not infringing on the patent. You can guess what route some will take given that the alternative is a rubber hose that has been proven to work just fine for the last 60 or 70 years where Scuba is concerned. The weight difference IMO is negligible.

I wouldn't be too upset if they all went away. I have had 5, of more or less standard lengths, in service for several years--1 Phantom HP, 1 Myflex LP, 3 Phantom LP. As Jim mentions, they are rough on bare skin and hair. Also, they abrade easily when in contact with rocks or wrecks and then they become REALLY rough. I have used standard rubber hoses successfully for more than 30 years, but I just had to try the latest and greatest. Myflex type hoses are probably ok for a midwater diver, but not for a spearfisherman, or wreck diver who needs to get close to stuff.

I did not want to start a Miflex debate. :) I actually really like them, but I am never in contact with anything to abrade them, and even in warm-water diving I don't have exposed skin.

Anyway, I like everything about the EXP except needing to mess with the hoses to get my preferred config.

Matt, I don't understand what you mean by "tropical gear". I am not that familiar with Dive Rite gear but I would be surprised if they are noticeably heavier that other manufacturers. My understanding is they use the same OEM as Hog/Edge, so I don't think you will see a great weight savings there. If you what to get rid of the adapter why not just buy a new yoke first? or if you don't mind spending the money, have Jim set you up with a Edge titanium regulator.

You're right and I started thinking the same way. I like toys but I probably don't need an entire second set.

I REALLY want to ditch the yoke adapter, it's big, heavy, and worst of all, a little fussy with some cylinders. I have two makes and both can be frustrating at times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom