Good Carribean spot for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jep: Bonaire: No big stuff. No walls. Long plane ride. 'Nuff said.

jmax once bubbled...
Where are there direct flight to Tuks & Caicos from? Miami is all I could find ...

More information on direct flights to TCI:

American: Boston, Miami and New York.
US Air: Charlotte, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington DC, Pittsburg and Richmond.
Delta: Atlanta (seasonal)
Charters: Toronto, Detroit, Boston, Miami, Philadelphia and Ft. Lauderdale.
British Airways: London

IMHO Bonaire is a really good choice for doing your first OW dives and first warm water dive trip due to the general ease of diving and nearly always great conditions. I prefer Cayman or T&C myself, but personally I'd still start in Bonaire and save those for a subsequent trip.

Depending on your connections Bonaire is probably a much longer traveling day, which would be a real drawback on a short trip.

If you go for Cayman or T&C I think it's important to pick the right dive op for your checkout, while on Bonaire it's harder to go wrong.

Damselfish once bubbled...
IMHO

Depending on your connections Bonaire is probably a much longer traveling day, which would be a real drawback on a short trip.

Ain't that the truth! From Austin, the travel time to Bonaire is virtually the same as to Honolulu (about 12 hours), despite the fact that Hawaii is just about twice as far.

I fly Delta for business. Had a trip aboard T&C Aggressor booked for 12/01 and was going to fly Delta but after 9/11 they canceled their routes to Provo.

Dave

Have you considered St. Thomas or St. Croix.

We have a waterfront condo at Bolongo Bay, St. Thomas, which is within walking distance of the Bolongo Bay Dive Center. The rent is only $350/week for an air conditioned studio with new applicances, pool, tennis courts, and security. The complex is close to a resort and three lovely restaurants. Visit our website at http://geocities.com/jesus_Christ_islord/condo.htm. which has a link to the dive center. You can also take the ferry to St. John for additional wonderful diving and snorkeling experiences.

Our St. Croix condo is also a terrific bargain. The air conditioned, one-bedroom unit is close to a shopping center and restaurants, and you can shore dive the wall at Cane Bay for only $10 first dive and $4 the second dive (the snorkeling is free). The same costs apply to diving the pier, where you can see rainbow-hued squid, sea horses, turtles, etc. Rent is 350/week or 1000/month. If you log on to our website at http://geocities.com/jesus_christ_islord/condo.html, you'll probably start making your vacation plans now!

As a recently certified diver (6/03) I will recommend St Maarten/ St Martin. I was there the first week of october, and the diving was verry nice, but quite easy30 - 60 ft avg. I used Dive Safaris for my diving, but there are about 5 or 6 other dive operators on the island (both Dutch and French sides). Pleanty of great places to eat, and the frendliest people on any island I have been to. If you want more information, Email me and I will send you several links for information. US Air flies out of Phily, and American flies out of several places in the N.E. . American has even had some sales on flights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom