Good Dive computer that scales to tech diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D4i has gauge mode. I was suggesting only as a backup timer/gauge. Not a backup computer.

A

Get an Uwatec 330m bottom time right now. Use it as a backup computer until you go into deco diving. Then you can keep on using the timer along with a newly purchased Seagull (name of the then new Shearwater computer) or the OSTC4 by Heinrich-Weikamp.

If I wasn't entering the world of side mount this week (new Dive Rite Nomad LT, 2 tanks, 2 new reg sets, etc) I'd be looking for another Predator to back up the one I have.

since no one has mentioned it yet, I dive the Nitek Q by dive rite. it is a 7 gas, trimix computer that can do simulated CCR to back up you rebreather (if you ever go there), has a built in compass and a user stelectable gradient factor. you can get in to the basic model for about $500 and unlock feature as you need them. I really like the log book where I can download a visual profile of my dive for my records.

did I mention its an OLED. which is great for technical low light situations.

thing to remember is that Tech means 100% O2 deco gas, 50/50 deco gas, back gas, and travel gas ( could be different if going deep). so to do true tech you need at least a 4 gas computer that will be easy to see in low light.

hope this is helpful.

oh yah, NO. transmitters are a big no no in tech. it's something else to break or fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

since no one has mentioned it yet, I dive the Nitek Q by dive rite. it is a 7 gas, trimix computer that can do simulated CCR to back up you rebreather (if you ever go there), has a built in compass and a user stelectable gradient factor. you can get in to the basic model for about $500 and unlock feature as you need them. I really like the log book where I can download a visual profile of my dive for my records.

did I mention its an OLED. which is great for technical low light situations.

thing to remember is that Tech means 100% O2 deco gas, 50/50 deco gas, back gas, and travel gas ( could be different if going deep). so to do true tech you need at least a 4 gas computer that will be easy to see in low light.

hope this is helpful.

oh yah, NO. transmitters are a big no no in tech. it's something else to break or fail.

Does the software work yet?

Maybe I will do a "true tech" dive one day. Only ever used 3 mixes so far.

---------- Post added June 10th, 2013 at 07:11 PM ----------

make sure it has the possibility to use a stopwatch with a secondcounter.

Why?

Save your money and buy a computer with gauge. It will take you thru advanced Trimix as you'll do class on tables. There's a lot better places to use your money to buy gear besides a full on tech computer. Make that your last purchase.

I answer this question week after week after week, and when it's all said and done, week after week after week, the same computer gets purchased. Do a simple search on best computer for tech and the answer will always be the same. And it's the same now. If you want the simplest to use, easiest to read, backed by the best customer service on the planet of any company anywhere on a computer you'll never be able to outgrow, then buy a Shearwater Petrel.

As I said before... No one has ever said, "I really wish I had bought XYZ computer instead of this Shearwater." But people every day post on one forum or another that they wished they had saved their money and bought a Shearwater instead of whatever computer they have. Buy one, if you don't like it, I will publicly eat my shorts.

Does the software work yet?

---------- Post added June 10th, 2013 at 07:11 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

I actually worked with the dive rite staff confirming the beta workbook app. it's now in release 3 and I have multiple uploads that I have done to my Q using a windows 7 PC. I've done a couple of unlocks to the software and updated the software version to 3.2.5.

it works great.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom