Good Dive Operations in Maui???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scscubagoddess

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm going to Maui in April. We are staying at the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas. Any suggestions on good dive operators in Maui?

The often recommended diveops in your area will be Lahaina Divers and Extended Horizons, both in the Lahaina area. Pacific Dive in Lahaina is good for shorediving. Lahaina Divers has big Newton diveboats which are nice for the return trip from either Lanai or Molokini as the tradewinds pickup in the early afternoon typically. But there's the possibility of more divers on the boat. They also moor in the Lahaina harbor so that's convenient.

I've never dove with Extended Horizons but plan to next time I'm in the area.

Another option is a 45 minute drive to Kihei to dive with Ed Robinsons, Mike Severns or B&B Scuba at the Kihei boat ramp. Maui Dreams Dive Co. is the shoredive option for that area. My buddy has dove with Ed and would do it again. With Severns you get more of a nature lesson on the ride over to Molokini. Severns also leaves between 5:30 and 6AM so it's a pretty early morning if you drive down there.

Typically the boats from the Kihei area go to Molokini and the boats from the Lahaina area go to Lanai. But that's not always the case, Lahaina Divers also does Molokini regularly. And Extended Horizons will also run to Molokai, that's next on my list supposed to be a lot more unspoiled diving.

Should you want to dive Molokini, it's faster to drive down and leave from Kihei than riding over from Lahaina. But it's a lot earlier....

I've moved this post to the Hawaii forum for more visibility.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I've been looking at Lahaina Divers, but was interested to see what experiences others have had. I just don't want a cattle boat experience with a bunch of inexperienced divers and snorklers!

I think you'll risk that cattleboat experience with most of the dive boats. The exception is if you took the trip to Molokai (strongly suggested). Lahaina Divers usually requires you to prove yourself as a diver at Molokini before booking for Molokai. I have had Mike Severn's Diving (leaving from Kihei) separate the boat by potential skill level and always recommend their operation. Their boat is small enough that I never feel like a head in the herd. I have never been disappointed with either operation, so much so that I have yet to dive with others.

We dive with Ed Robinsons and have NEVER had a cattle boat experience with them, they are an operation geared toward the more experienced and independent diver and thus far has not disappointed us. We've never had a snorkeler on the boat, they always do an excellent job of separating the divers by experience level as much as possible, and even when we've had a beginning diver in our group, we've always been given the latitude to dive deeper and longer.

We choose to dive with Lahaina Divers to Lanai because we feel the boat is far more comfortable for the crossing than Extended Horizons. In addition, as experienced and known divers with them, we're given the latitude for longer dives (we're typically first off and last on the boat), and aren't as "supervised" as the less experience or occasional diver. An "unknown" diver with them likely would not be given the same freedom.

Personally, I don't think there are any really "bad" operators on Maui, its just a matter of finding the one that matches your needs, experience, and style the best.

Regardless of whom you choose to dive with, be honest about your experience and skills so they can choose sites based on your abilities. Although your profile says you have less than 50 dives, there's a big difference between 50 quarry dives, 50 Puget Sound dives, and 50 easy warm water dives. We've been on a boat where a diver was boasting about his 300+ dives...but he'd never been on a boat nor in the ocean....all the dives were in a quarry!! He was totally unprepared for how to jump off the boat, let alone how to reboard in rough seas on a live boat! Then there was the lady who had over 500 dives in an aquarium and had never gone deeper than 25' (crew shared that one)!!

There are really only 4 or 5 boats in Maui waters that could be considered Cattle Boats, from 3 operators. The vast majority are 12-13 divers max with usually 2 but sometimes 3 groups diving with a guide. There are probably 2 or 3 boats that only take 6 divers, but those trips are limited by the least experienced diver on board as it is only one group. There may be 10 or more of the 12-pac boats working Maui waters, but there is a wide variety of styles of operating all those vessel sizes.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for the info everyone. The last trip I took to Florida we ended up grouped with divers fresh from their open water certifications and they were just very inexperienced. My husband is a diver with the navy, so we felt held back by the group we were diving with I guess. We are so excited about Maui, so I want to make sure we get the most we can out of our diving while we are there.

I was in Maui october 08. I used Lahaina Doivers and Maui Dive Shop. Never got the cattle car feeling and very friendly divemasters who pretty much give you the freedom you need with regards to your experience level. If you are advanced and up for an adventure there is a place called North Shore Explorers that will take you diving the north shore and other out of the way places in a rubber zodiac.

We had the exact opposite experience with Maui Dive Shop. Probably the fullest boat I've ever been on. Even their website is contradictory:
We offer small group, SCUBA diving trips to at least two different destinations every day of the week. Maka Koa is our Pro 48' Dive Boat that takes up to 24 divers out of Maalaea Harbor.

We always stay in West Maui, but it wasn't until last year that we discovered Artie and Piper at Pacific Dive. They have had our business since. You will find they have the lowest prices and are very helpful with information on current conditions. They do guided shore dives (at a reasonable price) and will also help you book boat dives. As they don't don't do the boat dives, I think you can trust them on their boat suggestions.

In April, you should be avoiding the worst of the north swell. With luck you should be able to do most of the west Maui shore sites: Honolu Bay (awesome reserve), Airport Beach, Black Rock (arrive VERY early to get one of the very few beach access parking spots at the Sheraton), and Mala Ramp (We love this site, Pacific Dive does guided dives here, this may ba an option for your first time there.) These are are shallow, so you can get some serious time on your dives.

We've done both Lahaina Divers and Extended Herizons for the Cathedrals. The Cathedrals are considered by most as a "must do" and I tend to agree. The area does have amazing structure with great vis. We had a less than enjoyable time with Extended Herizons, but we may try them again as their DMs have changes and they get great reviews from people I trust. Lahaina Divers has big / comfortable boats with friendly crews,,, but,,,, with a full load the lower deck can seem very small when trying to gear up and enter. You are also eight to one with the DM, this means NINE people in the Cathedral at one time (hold on to your regulator!). (Oh yes, smaller tanks too.)

If you want to check more boxes, heading down to Kihei (we always use Mike Sevrens) is a great time. (Coming from the East Coast, getting up early for Kihei shouldn't be hard.) A plug for Mike Sevrens here: If you want a real educational / environmental minded approach to your dive experience - this is the boat. You also have a crew of four for twelve divers = awesome service and safty factor.

Back
Top Bottom