Good Dive Operations in Maui???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are looking for more advanced diving, I'll second the recommendation for North Shore Explorers. Although "rubber zodiac" is a little innacurate. It's a former Navy SEAL boat and is well desigined for the north shore. If you husband is a navy diver, he's probably been on one, or at least knows what they are. Lots of flexibility with NSE, no forced hand holding, no "come up after half and hour 'cause we have a schedule" either.

And yes, I did used to work for them, so I'm biased :)

Chris

Diversteve, mine may have been different since it was 2 tank night dive with Maui Dive Shop. I think there were 7-8 of us on board. The night ones always seem to be less crowded, at least the ones I've been on.

The Westin is a good spot. There is great snorkeling right out front. My daughter did her discover scuba diving there and it is a good beach dive too. There is a shuttle regularly to the Sheraton and Whaler's Village so you don't have to worry about parking. You may get the concierge to get you free parking at the Sheraton if your lucky. I like all of the operators that I have used there. My favorites are Maui Adventure Divers (near the Old Lahaina Luau) and Lahaina Divers. If you can be downtown for St.Paddy's, you won't forget it. Have fun.
o.n.d.

One thing to be aware of with Lahaina Divers is that they use 72 c ft tanks. We were going to book the Molokai trip with them, but after finding out that they use those for that trip as well, we thought the long boat ride for a dive with those small tanks probably wasn't worth it.

We tried to book with North Shore Explorers the last time we were there, but their boat was in dry dock the entire time we were on Maui -- big disappointment.

I like Mike Severns, but it would involve driving down to Kihei (which is doable). They run a good boat, are very critter-focused, and tend to attract a slightly more experienced group, at least when we have been on the boat.

To the OP,

I'm interested in hearing about your experience at Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas when you return, both about the villa and the diving. Non-diving friends and their children are staying there mid-August and I'm tempted to joined them.

Sam

I'm going to tag along on this one too! I'm looking at either Westin Ka'anapali or Marriot's Maui Ocean Club. I'm not sure what dive operator though...

I just returned from 2 weeks at Marriott Maui Ocean Club. You just can't beat being on Kaanapali and the easy walks to dinner and shopping, not to mention the way Marriott has managed the expansion.

Did all my diving with Lahaina Divers. True they have 72s but still get plenty of bottom time. We have been out with them for 6 years now. Like the big boats cause we go in winter and also having had a lot of time with them, they put us in with all experienced divers (first in, last out).

We had some awsome dives. We did get blown out of backwall and ended up at Manta Point. Manta's all over that day. Fantastic.

Lahaina divers is convenient and professional and will continue to get my businenss.

My wife and I dove with Lahaina D. in 2009 and enjoyed the experience. We went to the Carthaganian (nice as a ship, sad as a wreck) and then went to the old crushed/fallen down pier off Lahaina for a night dive. That was fun. Lots of frog fish and a volkswagen bug masquerading as a turtle.

Back
Top Bottom