Good Dive Operations in Maui???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went out to lanai w Maui Rafting Adventures this week. Boat was full w only 16. They go in this big raft. Quick crossing, lots of whales. Fun ride in pretty rough surf. One gal was heaving the whole trip. It leaves from the ramp at Mala warf and avoids the bussle of Lahiana. No babysitting, come up when your air is gone. Great trip. Likely will go out with them again next week.

Also did shore dives at wahikuli (lots of turtles) and Kapalua. Shallow but lots of fun.

Kanapalli is Busy. If you like rows of hotels and beach chairs, it's ok. We are staying farther north and really glad we did.

For whatever it's worth.

We are going to Maui at the end of April, and were considering using Maui Dive Shop. However, I see that someone had a bad experience!

Can anyone give some feedback on this particular dive shop? We're staying in Kahului.

Thanks!

MDS is the biggest dive shop company (~9 shops - 2nd place has 2 shops?) in the Hawaiian Islands and they have the largest active boat fleet (3 or 4? - tied?).

They have the largest staff, so there is less consistency any given day. Their rental BC's and reg's are Scuba Pro. They do not allow EANx on their dives/boats (FWIH).

I tell every visitor they should go to a Maui Dive Shop, to get the free Maui Dive Guide. I get my replacement Cressi Big Eyes mask parts through them.

My wife and I have dove Maui for the past three years and gone out with Extended Horizons and B & B dive shop. Both were very nice, we did Second Cathedral with Horizons and Molokini with B and B. I didn't feel like either were cattle cars and both were very professional. Extended Horizons offered tasty snacks during the surface interval and also allowed for ample whale watching time while on the way back from Lanai.

I actually prefer shore dives as they are cheaper and one gets more bottom time. I've done a bunch of dives with Shaka Divers (Doug is a cool cat) and I find that they offer the best bang for the buck. I'll dive with Shaka Divers any time.

cburdick1,
When you do shore dives on Maui, where do your rent tanks? I will be visiting the big island and Maui in April for our first trip to Hawaii and I would love to do a few shore dives.
Thanks,

cburdick1,
When you do shore dives on Maui, where do your rent tanks? I will be visiting the big island and Maui in April for our first trip to Hawaii and I would love to do a few shore dives.
Thanks,

If you are staying in Ka'anapali there is a dive shop in Whalers Village that rents tanks.
I think it was a Maui Dive Shop but I could be wrong on that.

cburdick1,
Thanks,
In South Maui, Maui Dreams in Kehei. $40 for a ten tank rental with air last time I was there in Sept for Al 80's. They also have some Al 100's and offer nitrox if you want it but no need for that for shore diving.

Thanks for the nice comments about Maui Dreams! I have worked there for over ten years and now manage the shop. It is a great place to call home.

Scuba Goddess, drop in and say hi if you get a chance, regardless of whether you dive with us, we love to talk story and will be happy to give you advice on where to dive during your wonderful Maui vacation.

Thank you so much for all the information everyone. I can't wait to go...only two more months!!! I was a little worried about all this tsunami talk in the past couple days...but it looks like everything is okay. That would be my luck....lol.

Back
Top Bottom