Good Dive Operations in Maui???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cburdick1,
When you do shore dives on Maui, where do your rent tanks? I will be visiting the big island and Maui in April for our first trip to Hawaii and I would love to do a few shore dives.
Thanks,

We didn't get our own air. As my wife and I do not know Maui's shores very well, we went with Shaka Divers who provided tanks/BCD/Reg/Weight for us. Prices were very reasonable and totally worth it.

Peter and I bring all our own gear, and rent tanks and weights from B&B Scuba. They have been great, and their prices are very reasonable.

We were very fortunate! The tsunami was one-third to one-fourth the size they thought it might be! It was fascinating to watch, but it did not create any discernable changes to Maui's dive sites...Yahoo!

Our shop is at sea level, so I was in there at 5:00AM pulling out electronics and non-replaceable items and headed up the hill. Back in the shop at 2:00 PM, hooked everything back up and open as usual! Whew!!!

I have lived on Maui for 11 years and this was the first experience I have had with a tsunami!

Sorry, but would like to add a comment about Lahaina Divers (just back from Maui mid February). They are a nice group of people but their dive operation is large enough to categorize as a cattle car operation. They usually have over twenty on board. You do okay if you get in the first group off the boat, otherwise, you may see fewer critters.

Plus, I could never get over the use of the 72 cf tanks. What is that about? Seemed about 10 minutes less per dive and on those dives where we came up as a group, I sometimes had 1500psi left.

That said, the boats are comfortable and the staff is pleasant. Just don't go looking for the experience you get from the smaller operations like Ed Robinson's.

Not trying to be a turd in the punch, but you should know before you go.

Okay....we are now a week back from Maui. I have to say it was the most beautiful place I've ever seen! We absolutely loved it. The resort was fabulous. Only five minutes from Lahaina, which is the most fabulous little town. We dove with Lahaina Divers for all 5 days and had a blast with them. Got to see hammerheads, white tip reef sharks, turtles, octopi, manta ray, and lots of fish. There were very convenient to our resort. The crew and captains were really funny and took good care of us. The snacks and lunch provided were delicious. Saw several humpbacks on the way to and from the dive sites and could hear them underwater while we were diving. I would definitely recommend Maui to everyone!! Absolute paradise...my husband and I are going to get orders to Hawaii now...we are hooked!!!

This is a little late, but trying to catch up.
Been back for two weeks and have to say I so miss Hawaii.
Anyway, didn't do as much diving as planned but still did some.
On the big Island dove with Big Island Divers and had a blast, especially on the night manta dive. It was amazing. To be in the water with such graceful creatures and the size and number of them was amazing!!
I wasn't going to do anymore diving on the big Island, but at the last minute I decided to. I called Big Island Divers for a Sunday morning 2 tank but they were booked as were a couple of other shops. I then found Bottom Time Hawaii and they had space on a 3 tank dive. I heard some not so good reviews about them, but I decided to try it and I am so glad I did. The shop is under new ownership now and I have to say I had an incredible time. The crew was extremely friendly and treated me as family as did the rest of the guests (which were all from Hawaii). The crew were experts on marine life and we shared diving stories. We were able to go farther south and do three great dives. The boat was a cat, which was great for me due to getting sea sick often. I can't say anything bad about the whole experience and have to give thanks to Kerry for a great experience.
Next was Maui, which was great. I also dove with Lahaina divers. Maybe it was because it was slow season, but the two seperate trips I went out, there were not many people on the boats, which made it more enjoyable. The staff was great and knew their stuff, especially Capt. Dan.
Overall the trip was great and I think I will be returning soon with the family!!
Thanks for everyones great advice!!

Okay....we are now a week back from Maui. I have to say it was the most beautiful place I've ever seen! We absolutely loved it. The resort was fabulous. Only five minutes from Lahaina, which is the most fabulous little town. We dove with Lahaina Divers for all 5 days and had a blast with them. Got to see hammerheads, white tip reef sharks, turtles, octopi, manta ray, and lots of fish. There were very convenient to our resort. The crew and captains were really funny and took good care of us. The snacks and lunch provided were delicious. Saw several humpbacks on the way to and from the dive sites and could hear them underwater while we were diving. I would definitely recommend Maui to everyone!! Absolute paradise...my husband and I are going to get orders to Hawaii now...we are hooked!!!

I am so pleased to read that you loved diving on my beloved Maui. I hope you can make it over to the Kihei side next time and get to dive with us at Maui Dreams. We have some wonderful dive sites on that side as well:)

Did you get out to Molokini? The pristine water and coral are not to be missed!

Yes, we did Molokini 2 days, the backwall one day and the crater the second day. It was beautiful and the backwall was a fabulous dive. Very relaxing. We will definitely be back to Maui! Hopefully to live in a couple years. We are trying for orders to Oahu for a couple years, then once we are out of the navy, moving to Maui from Oahu. We will definitely be coming back for vacation once we move to Oahu, so we will have to check you out. I fell in love...I must come back.

The backwall of Molokini reminds me of diving along a wall of the Grand Canyon underwater:)

Back
Top Bottom