Good diving in Mexico other than Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdufour

Registered
Reaction score
My family and I are planning a trip for late December and are looking to do quite a bit of scuba diving. Mexico appeals to us because it is easy to get to, but we have been to Cozumel several times and are looking for an alternative. The diving there was great, but we would like to go elsewhere, and are hoping to find great diving elsewhere in Mexico. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!!

:holysheep: Can he say that in here?
:angrymob:

:laughing: Sure there is lots more to see and do in Mexico. That's why we have main Mexico forum. Some book open-jaw plane tickets, flying into Cozumel, out of Cancun. The car rental agency I use on the peninsula has very competitive rates & insurance (altho there is more to that story) with no drop chargers: Easyway car rentals.

On the peninsula....
I don't think you'll find the reef diving as good as in Coz, but there are some enjoyable sites - and some really like those alternatives.

Cenote dives are mind boggling.

There are some outstanding Mayan ruins, from when they were building with complex geometry at the same time that London was a stick town.

Holbox is a delightful island village, sand streets and golf carts, from which we snorkeled with whale sharks but many are doing that from other locations as well. The Dominoes are not there in December but the village is still quite popular, as are many others.​
Well, you asked for diving; I guess I got off there, sorry. Riviera Maya Hotels, Resorts, Rentals: Mexican Caribbean Vacation is a pretty good site for information and these two maps can be clicked to zoom...
http://www.locogringo.com/lgunet/images/maps/roads/masterYUC.png
http://www.locogringo.com/lgunet/images/maps/roads/masterQR.png
But Mapquest is giving directions in Mexico now too.

Your thread will stay on page 1 longer and get more attention from the more experienced if you start one on the Mexico forum tho. Have a good trip...!

Last edited:
My family and I are planning a trip for late December and are looking to do quite a bit of scuba diving. Mexico appeals to us because it is easy to get to, but we have been to Cozumel several times and are looking for an alternative. The diving there was great, but we would like to go elsewhere, and are hoping to find great diving elsewhere in Mexico. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!!
The only other "great" warm-water diving is southern Baja, specifically the Sea of Cortez accessible by liveaboard or day boats out of La Paz, or the Soccorros Islands.

Have you considered Belize or Roatan?

You can dive the entire east coast of the yucatan. My son and I took a road trip last year from cancun to xcalak. We dove in akumal, tulum, mahaual, and spent three days in xcalak with xtc divers. Fun trip, we liked the road trip aspect. Didn't book in advance, as we had no set plan. Although it was a holiday week we were able to find accomodations each night, some better than others. I can recommend costa de cocos in xcalak. This may not work for you, but if you are a flexible traveler and like to explore the road less traveled then you might enjoy a trip like this. Good luck happy divin.

P.S. travelling through the peninsula felt quite safe to us and we had no issues. There were occasional road stops at checkpoints set up by the military, however these were no issue and actually made us feel safer knowing there were patrols.

Last edited:
A pitch for Akumal. We went when our kids were young. Very relaxed, decent reef and very nice snorkeling.
Not much night life but easy drive to Tulum for the ruins. Nice beach. If kids and they are teens, forget it. Too laid back.

Rob

I have dove several different places in Mexico, but once we did Cozumel there was no turning back for me.

Second favorite spot is Cabo Pulmo on the East Cape of Baja. Place is off the grid and is a marine reserve, so tons of fish, sharks, eels, etc..

My dive buddy and I are going to Cozumel for 2 weeks this August and taking a few days to explore the Xcalak area. If you get the right conditions and can get out to Banco Chinchorro, this is supposed to have some great diving.

One more vote for La Paz, and I would like to try Loreto personally. La Paz diving is a lot different but both the diving and town are great. Definitely not as convenient as Coz for me but will probably go back one day anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom