Good Guages to go with Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phaethon

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

What's a good pressure gauge to go with a pair of Apeks regs on a DS4 (?) first stage?

Also, given that I have a Suunto Mosquito, is there any advantage to getting a depth gauge as part of the above (maybe a Suunto two inline)? Is it worth having some kind of back-up depth guage in case the Mossie malfunctions/gets lost/forgotton?

Finally, If I wait to buy the above guage(s) in the US will I have problems finding them in metric - can they be bought with user-changeable scales?

TIA and cheers,

K.

If you're already wrist mounted on the Mosquito, why get 'gauges?' Just get an SPG and clip it off somewhere around your left hip (depending on what sort of BC you're wearing.)

Cheaper and simpler. You don't need another depth gauge - if your wrist info craps out, that's what your buddy is for.

Boogie711:
If you're already wrist mounted on the Mosquito, why get 'gauges?' Just get an SPG and clip it off somewhere around your left hip (depending on what sort of BC you're wearing.)

Ditto...I love this setup....But I use the Vyper...Not much difference.

There's bugger-all chance of finding metric gauges in the US. You might be able to source some BAR SPGs, but the range won't be as great as in Europe.

Suunto's SM-36 is a nice SPG, but plastic. Scubapro have some nice metric brass SPGs through www.simplyscuba.com in the UK.

Thanks guys, I think I'll trot over the road to my LDS and price up a DS4-ATX40-SM36 package.

Cheers,

K.

I just bought a really cool spg. It's an aqua-lung pivot II, I believe, and it's brass, has 100 psi increments and also has a Bar scale. It's layed out really nice so that using either bar or psi is really quite easy.

My LDS called it the Aqua-Lung Pivot II, and I bought it in Vancouver, Canada...If anyone can find it anywhere else I don't know...I couldn't find any documentation about it on the net.

I don't think you have to worry specifically about the apeks regs and which pressure gauge. Basically any gauge will work, but in my opinion you would be better off with an spg which is at least brass and has 100 psi increments (Although Suuntos SM-36 is pretty nice for a plastic SPG).

Well, actually I wandered in there and, after waving some new £300 AquaLung first and second stage only regs under my nose and seeing I wasn't biting, brought out a nearly-new complete rig - 2 x TX50 and a UWTec depth/pressure and compass for £160 after full service. They say a guy bought all the gear and then gave up in short order but didn't say why or how he gave up - personally I think they bought the gear cheap back off the coroner =8^O

Still it seemed churlish to turn that down and it will get me started...

Cheers,

K.

Back
Top Bottom