good in low light vs sharp and crisp and fast focus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stargost

Contributor
Reaction score
if chosing between two cameras (DSLR, in fact EVIL), what would be the best underwater:
-The one with highest dynamic range and great in low ligth
-The one which would be the sharpest with lots of details and also the fastest autofocus ?

Maybe I should post this on underwater-videography, but eventually, it is a choice for both video and still.

I would choose the one with fastest autofocus simple reason being you will probably be using strobes and also a focus light .If you are not using strobes then you will need better low light capabilities but you will also be losing the colors of all your subjects.

If you do a lot of wide angle natural light shooting, especially at depth, the light sensitivity would be important. Otherwise, fastest and most consistent autofocus-the one that hunts the least in dirty water or low light would be my choice. Usually that's more of a lens choice thing but some cameras have better autofocus than others. I don't care about how many autofocus points, I usually use spot focus anyway. I just want it to hit and stay there when the subject is in focus.
Also, unlike my camera I would want one that will take the picture you ask it to, not refuse to shoot because it doesn't feel that it has perfect focus or light. I would rather have a once in a lifetime pic that's a little blurry than push the button over and over while nothing happens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom