Good new diver "DIVES" in Aruba???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VWJarhead

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Headed to Aruba in August for a friends B-day and will have my OW certification in hand but with only my training dives completed so this will be my first real diving experience so to speak. My girlfriend also has her OW but its from 18 years ago and she will do a refresher before we arrive. Does anyone know of any particular dives suited to our level of experience and depth to look into before hand? Any particular dive charters better for newbys than others? Don't want to limit anyone elses experience during our dives, but not sure if me and my girlfriend are best suited to be dive buddies either due to our (in)experience level... any thoughts helpful. Thanks

Last edited:
Hard to find an easier dive location than the ABC's One of my favorite dives ever was a night dive on the Antilla

Hard to find an easier dive location than the ABC's One of my favorite dives ever was a night dive on the Antilla

Yeah I'd love to check out the wrecks but not ready for the night dives yet...I'd rather be slow and paranoid for a bit until were both comfortable. Having never chartered a dive before is it a pain in the ass for the crew and or other drivers to have brand new divers in the group or is it common and to just be upfront and enjoy?

Be upfront and be prepared to be back on the boat first. It is not a problem for me to dive with newbies, we were all new at some point. Communication with dm so they can help or watch you. It's no biggie, go, have fun, and make sure your number of exits equal your number entries.

I agree. Upfront is the way to go. Then just jump in and enjoy. I think most folks are understanding and even helpful. I think what annoys people is the guy who brags how great he is all the way out to the dive site and then is clearly incompetent. Even that does not bother me as I have seen it a lot.

What bothers me is when it affects my dive. Ear equalization issues, getting hit it the face with flailing fins or arms, and seeing them bouncing off the reef get on my nerves.

It sounds to me like you are a person that is concerned about others and conscious of the people around you. With that attitude and the willingness to tell folks you are new you will be just fine. We all went through it. Just enjoy and soon you will be the experienced one being graceful with newbies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom