Good newbie dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ruki

New
Reaction score
Hi all -

My family and I are traveling to Belize at the end of November. We've all completed our open water certification, but diving in Belize will be everyone's first dive. Does anyone have any recommendations on good dives for first-timers? We're into natural history if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance,

ruki

All of them will be selected by the dive operator, so I would tell them what type of diving your hopping for and I am sure they will TRY to accommodate you!

If you are environmentally conscious and want to be near the mainland for Mayan ruin tours and waterfall excursions as well as right next to the barrier reef, you might want to try Thatch Caye. We have several guides familiar with the varied ecosystems of Belize and we often do mangrove kayaking and snorkeling for our guests so they can see with their own eyes where so much of the reef's bounty originates. Our dives are low impact and in smaller groups so you can relax more and actually spend time looking at everything to get a sense of the wonder of the underwater world.

Hi all -

My family and I are traveling to Belize at the end of November. We've all completed our open water certification, but diving in Belize will be everyone's first dive. Does anyone have any recommendations on good dives for first-timers? We're into natural history if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance,

ruki

I dove in Belize last November (and returning in a few weeks!) and it was some great diving. One thing that I noticed was that at that time of year, there were a few days where the skies were a little gray and the sea was rolling just outside the reef. By rolling I mean I was wondering how the dive boat operator was going to keep track of us and I was second-guessing making the dive, which is never a good feeling. My dive guide didn't act like the conditions were anything out of the ordinary, so that put me at ease. As you probably know, getting into the water and getting under is the easy part. Getting back on the boat in those conditions can be tricky - especially for newer divers.

I guess the point of this post is that diving beyond the reef for new divers may be a little unnerving at first, but worth it. For your first dive, I would suggest asking if your dive operator knows of a good spot inside the reef or something somewhat protected if the conditions are less than ideal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom