Good regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MBH:
I wear the RG2010 necklaced and have found it to be an easy breathing reg that is highly resistant to freeflows (without having to have it de-tuned.) My S600 is my favorite primary but it would most definately need to be de-tuned if it was to be used on the short hose.

Couldnt you just detune it w/ the venturi control? Or the dive/predive switch?

I've tried every adjustment combination and my s600 still remains too position sensitive to use on the short hose. But it breathes like a dream on the long hose.

Several posters here have the right idea. Finish your class first unless you are POSITIVE this is going to be something you are going to keep with. Its not uncommon for me to sell complete packages to people who are either in or getting ready to start their class. This is not the norm though.

When you are ready to purchase your first regulator, don't "cheap out". This is not to say you have to spend a ton of cash for a good regulator, but do a bit of research and purchase the best piece of equipment you can afford, as it is something you will probably use for a good long time. When budgeting for your reg, remember you also need guages/computer, an octo and if you don't own a bcd, you'll need to purchase a BCD inflator hose as well.

The good thing is every manufacturer makes a good regulator in your price range. Removing people's opinions on "who is best", think about what you liked or didn't like about the gear you've used. No adjustments, or don't care if it does? Venturi switch? Or don't care. Swivel on the hose or don't care? Once you have an idea of what features you like then start looking around at where you can get the best deal on that particular item.

Thanks scuba that helps. When i am getting my OW cert and in the pool/lake, will most places let me sample different regs while completing the course, then purchase what i like after i am certified?

Someone posted Mares & Oceanic....I agree.....Sherwood's may not be that high(bank breaking- some people have different size banks) & are good quality regulators...BTW, If you decide on a Mares(or maybe the other 2 also), I have seen where Scubatoys has good deals on some(plus 10% SB discount for just asking)...Go to their site & click on closeouts.....good luck......

Scuba.com:
Several posters here have the right idea. Finish your class first unless you are POSITIVE this is going to be something you are going to keep with. Its not uncommon for me to sell complete packages to people who are either in or getting ready to start their class. This is not the norm though.

When you are ready to purchase your first regulator, don't "cheap out". This is not to say you have to spend a ton of cash for a good regulator, but do a bit of research and purchase the best piece of equipment you can afford, as it is something you will probably use for a good long time. When budgeting for your reg, remember you also need guages/computer, an octo and if you don't own a bcd, you'll need to purchase a BCD inflator hose as well.

The good thing is every manufacturer makes a good regulator in your price range. Removing people's opinions on "who is best", think about what you liked or didn't like about the gear you've used. No adjustments, or don't care if it does? Venturi switch? Or don't care. Swivel on the hose or don't care? Once you have an idea of what features you like then start looking around at where you can get the best deal on that particular item.

Is this Bob or Brian....btw, found out where I'm going to ride(attach) this sucker UW..:D

http://www.scuba.com/shop/diving.as..._pn_DEEP-OUTDOORS-THE-OFFICE-ACCESSORY-SYSTEM

I don't think anyone has asked about your diving goals. If you are planning to dive in very cold water, your regulator choice will be determined by that fact. For warm water, pretty much all the regs will work.

Gary

MBH:
I wear the RG2010 necklaced and have found it to be an easy breathing reg that is highly resistant to freeflows (without having to have it de-tuned.) My S600 is my favorite primary but it would most definately need to be de-tuned if it was to be used on the short hose.

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

i live in Texas so it should be warm water for the most part. What is deemed "cold water" anyways?

You can't go wrong with any of the major players in the regulator market, Scuba Pro, Aqua Lung/Apeks, Sherwood, Oceanic, Mares, Atomic. They all make a good product. My advice is choose a regulator that is balanced (a good shop person can explain this feature or you can look it up online). Also, choose a regulator that you can get serviced near where you live. You will need to get it service annually no matter how much diving you do and you won't want to have to ship it off and wait for it to come back. Choose one that is in your price range. Most divers do not need to spend $700 to $1000 for a regulator, they can't really tell the difference. Don't buy the hype in the magazines, do your own research. Everyone you ask will tell you that what they own is the best on the market. By the way, I own Atomic, Apeks, Oceanic and Sherwood regulators, they are the best on the market. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom