Good time to move up to HD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going to a quality camera set up before a dream trip requires some practice, but if its your dream trip, dont go without being well equipped. TOdays HD cameras are much better than previous cameras. Smaller systems are more powerful and offer far more features. Going tapeless makes life easy, especially when you return! MWB is a feature that is often underestimated on the importance list...I cant live without it, nor do I suggest going with it!

You should take a serious look at the Canon HF S20, and Also either the Sony XR550 or CX550. All fantastic cameras, with a variety of housings available for it. We also have a couple of demo models of HD cameras and housings available if you are looking to save some $$. Just remember, optics are extremely important no matter which way you go. And of course, being compact, RELIABLE, and easy to use are very important. Its your dream trip, make sure you have the memories.

Budget of course is the ultimate factor. The new Amphibico housing Steve mentioned above is excellent for the price, and really puts a quality, durable machined aluminum housing in the hands of the consumer. The step above that would be the Light and Motion Stingray, and the just released Gates CX550.

Thanks Steve for your input...as well as all you veteran videographers - greatly appreciatied!

I have on order from B & H (per Carl above...) the Sony CX550V - a sweet deal: they threw in a compact 350gig external hard drive, matched perfectly to this camera for file downloading. Though this camera has a hefty 64gig flash drive, as mentioned earlier its a great idea to dump files throughout a week long trip to just be safe. I also purchased the 3 yr warranty plan & another charger & bigger battery.

After some GREAT discussions with JC @ Amphibico (he even emailed a PDF of the manual to get a solid idea of its operation), I ordered it as well. Very impressive service, although I was a little shocked @ the $125 shipping charge (ships from Canada).

I've made the decision w/ thorough research & tremendous support from Scubaboard :) I'm very happy that I will have everything delivered before a short trip planned to Coz in early October, where I can get a nice drill on its operation (even some currents in prep for Galapagos...). I've avidly operated my Ikelite rig for 5 years, so I think the adjustment to this new rig should go well. One big adjustment I see already, is having a live monitor. I've been quite successful @ just aiming over the top of my rig, & framing spot on 98% of the time. The one thing that always frustrated me though, was some times the camera was shooting when I thought it was in standby, as the the tiny green light on the HC-42 was very difficult to see. Nothing like getting home & editing through 4 or 5 minutes of sand going by :depressed: I'll be curious about how my Sanyo Eneloop NiMH rechargable AA's will last powering this monitor (JC said they just recently switched to a more efficient digital HD monitor - maybe 4 hours?).

I've had some very useful discussion w/ Ashley (BDSC) regarding editing software, & I'm pretty certain I will upgrade to the Sony HD suite, rather than bump up my old Pinnacle 12 to the current HD suite - it only makes sense that the Sony software has been tested w/ their own product in terms of working w/ the AVCHD format. I'll download the trial 1st to be sure. I own a very hefty quad AMD processed PC & I will definitely install a Blueray burner, as my ultimate goal here, is to view these trips on the big HD plama TV.

Congrats Lakeman!

I think you will be very pleased with your system. Let us know how it performs in Coz.

Well the results are in. I can only give high praises for the Sony CX550V & the Amphibico housing as well. 'Just back from Coz & predictably, the transition from my old Ikelite rig to this one went easily & smoothly. Per suggested on above posts, I used a small white board tethered to a retractor & cued the manual white balance a few times during dives. To me, the color balance is really quite nice. My only gripe about the Amphibico housing is that the buttons have some major springs behind them - I had a dent in my index finger from triggering the record button on & off (maybe a break in process??). I did end up upgrading my Pinnacle studio to the newer HD version. I've used this edittng software for several years, so I know it well. Worked very smoothly, although occasionally clocked a LONG time as I was working with the files. I have 4 gig of memory, but when I open the tower up to add a Blue Ray burner, I think I'll just add another 4gig to help keep the editting process from hanging up.

Cozumel Fall 2010 on Vimeo

I had a dent in my index finger from triggering the record button on & off (maybe a break in process??).
The trigger gets softer - after a couple years...LOL. Mode is still stiff since I almost never use it.

Well the results are in. I can only give high praises for the Sony CX550V & the Amphibico housing as well. 'Just back from Coz & predictably, the transition from my old Ikelite rig to this one went easily & smoothly. Per suggested on above posts, I used a small white board tethered to a retractor & cued the manual white balance a few times during dives. To me, the color balance is really quite nice. My only gripe about the Amphibico housing is that the buttons have some major springs behind them - I had a dent in my index finger from triggering the record button on & off (maybe a break in process??). I did end up upgrading my Pinnacle studio to the newer HD version. I've used this edittng software for several years, so I know it well. Worked very smoothly, although occasionally clocked a LONG time as I was working with the files. I have 4 gig of memory, but when I open the tower up to add a Blue Ray burner, I think I'll just add another 4gig to help keep the editting process from hanging up.

Cozumel Fall 2010 on Vimeo

Looks great ! What lens/port did you go with ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom