Good time to move up to HD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too had nothing but problems with the color from my HC-7 since my housing can't do MWB. Footage was green, green, green. I was almost relieved when the HC-7 tape mechanism failed and Sony said it would cost nearly $500 to replace it.

Looking at the CX550V. They say the new sensor in that unit is much better in low light and doesn't create the green cast like the HC- series.

Keep in mind that many of the newer cameras, especially from Sony, use AVCHD and the footage may be more difficult to edit.

Dr Bill, Is spot on.

As you move along in the quality upgrade two step. You may have to upgrade your editing software as well.

The bigger files are difficult for small programs and computers to handle. Our HVX 200 shooting at 30FPS burns one gigabyte per minute of raw data. So a single dive could be a 60 gig file to deal with. Now it does break it up automatically into a series of 5 gig files. but still it requires some massive computing power and a major editing program like the Adobe Premier Pro or something equivalent.

After each dive we have to dump the cameras PCMI P2 cards onto our laptop and then each evening we down load them onto external Tig drives two of them. One main and a backup at about $100 each. So each days shooting cost us about $200 just to store the data. (not complaining just telling the whole story for your consideration). Yes it would be easier to buy multiple P2 cards but at $900 each we prefer the cheaper external hard drives.

Good luck with the upgrade. I can tell you one thing we would never go back to 720 P. When we blow up our footage on the 60 inch HD Flat screen. You would think you were still underwater. It looks awesome.

I think we might be starting to get a little off topic. Original poster is looking at an $800 Ikelite housing and $800 Sony consumer cam.

The prosumer cams by Panasonic, Sony, Canon shoot great video, but prices are generally $3k+ just for the cam, never mind the housings.

Yes you are correct. My Bad!

But even the $800 cameras like the Sony HDR-CX350V can create large files. You fill a 32 gig card and you have 32 gigs of data to work with. A small Ram chip or video card and you have trouble my friend.

Thanks to all who responded - this has been extremely helpful. As mentioned earlier, I have thought carefully about the idea of making a significant change before such an important trip, but as ronscuba said .... "point & shoot". The beauty of the typical Galapagos itinerary is that we do wt. checks @ pretty ordinary spots & then move to the REALLY good stuff, so I would be able to review & make setting adjustments if needed.

The biggest thing I've picked up from your posts, is the importance of MWB. I'm totally compelled to buy a housing that enables me to access especially the "one touch" MWB as BDSC pointed out. I'm waiting to here from Ikelite, as I emailed them yesterday asking about their webpage description of the specific housing for a Sony HDR CX350V that I'm interested in.

Ikelite Housings for Sony Digital Video Cameras

It indicates "mode button" but yet a statement above their bullet points says "Menu functions accessed through the camera's LCD touch screen are not accessible in this installation". Very confusing.

As much as I love Ikelites, I am also considering Ocean Images housings, which have basic electronic controls, & offers optional mechanical buttons to access screen controls. Their webpage at the very bottom specifically indicates the control I believe now that I'm looking for: MWB. This housing is about $400 more than the Ikelite, but is sounding like its worth it. Any feedback from you folks on this housing is greatly appreciated.

Ocean Images Underwater Digital Video Camera Housings - Sony - HC-1, PC-110, PC-100

Ashley, your Little Caymen video is quite beautiful, & represents a great comparison to what I've been shooting. Its just plain errie how many scenes are similar (if not exactly the same ones), as the Youtube example I posted above!

Also, I want to mention, my wife & I have a little 5 day get-away planned in 3 weeks to Coz (baring any storms!), so if I act quickly, I'll have my new rig in time to practice.

Ashley, your Little Caymen video is quite beautiful, & represents a great comparison to what I've been shooting. Its just plain errie how many scenes are similar (if not exactly the same ones), as the Youtube example I posted above!

I appreciate that! A friend of mine just bought a used Gates housing and they are supposed to be top notch and their customer service is second to none, or so I'm told. She is using the Sony HC7 camcorder and she has MWB and her videos look really nice. If you're not in a hurry, I'd start looking at used equipment on this site and places like wetpixel. You can get some really great deals on practically new stuff. I do like the CX series from Sony now. They have really improved their low light ability with those camcorders. I was able to WB in Little Cayman in the 50 - 60 ft range with no problems at all. That's the depth I seem to shoot a lot of video. (Or less)

I think the 32gb internal memory on the CX350 will hold about 3 hours of video at full HD resolution. Would make sense to copy the video files onto a PC or separate HD each day whether you fill up the card or not. I recently met someone who did not do this. He lost his camera and all his footage in the Galapagos current on the last day. :depressed:

When is your show on Versus ?

Ikelite housing for the Sony CX350 can't do MWB since it doesn't have access to the touch screen. However, the Ikelite housing for the CX550 does have the access. Also be aware of the Ikelite mirror for UW viewing. I'd be careful and check the internet for UW video samples with these camcorders. The green thing would have me concerned.

Last edited:
Ron Farm asked! - When is your show on Versus ?

Two weeks from today.

September 28th at 9:30 AM EST

I hope you will watch. We are just finishing the editing on Episode two and its a fun episode with some great footage of aswim I did with a Hawksbill turtle and some BBQ history.

I just got back from the store & the very knowledgeable sales guy is talking me into the CX550 vs. the CX350V. Its $300 more, but as you probably know, it has a half inch sensor vs. the quarter inch sensor in the 350V along with this year's new Exmor low light technology...plus 64 gig flash memory. I studied the WB adjustment - Ashley, do you use the "one touch" WB & use a white board? I've watched many many photographers do this while diving. Also, do you just keep your vid on for the entire dive, or shut it down here & there. I've heard these HD cam's take a while to boot up. I didn't purchase it yet....gotta mull this over a day or so. I will also do as you suggested & hit some ad's for used housings. How did you transition from the older style video format to AVCHD for editing?

Ron, you posted that Ikelite has a housing for this vid - interesting that it costs just slightly less than the Ocean Images housing, which has most of the controls electronically in the right hand grip AND the screen is entirely open inside, not the goofy mirror on the outside. I quite agree, this set up is NOT ideal for Galapagoes conditions. And yes, I will for sure be bringing a portable hard drive to download files. I don't plan on bringing my laptop since as you know, wt. restrictions are pretty bad for the flights f/ mainland to San Cristobal. Hopefully I'll be able to sit down @ one of the Humboldt's PC's & hook everything up for downloading. Oh & regarding the green prob? Check out Ashley's (BDSC) Little Cayman video posted earlier - terrific true to life color & clarity.

Last edited:
MN I strongly suggest that you look at B+H for prices. These guys are good to work with very knowledgeable and helpful.

Just a suggestion.

Sony HDR-CX550V 64GB HD Handycam Camcorder w/ WD 350GB External

They show the 550 at $1,153. with a WD 350 Gig external hard drive. Of course you can buy a bigger drive (500 gig) at Costco for $70.00

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom