Goodenough Springs Exploration Project - Notice of Complaint

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chucknoe

Registered
Reaction score
November 13, 2009

Goodenough Springs Exploration Project (GSEP): Notice of complaint against Texas divers Steve Cushman and Colin Irons.

The GSEP, a formally chartered cave diving research and exploration group, has conducted work at Goodenough Springs near Del Rio, TX since the year 2000. This site is located on federally-owned property and is open to public access.

Over a ten-year period, our volunteer, privately-funded organization has incurred direct expenses in excess of $100,000.00 to conduct exploration and research activities at Goodenough Springs. Our project has also installed and maintained an extensive mooring system that is available for public use at this site.

The GSEP has worked closely with many scientific and governmental organizations including: Texas State University, Texas A&M University, Texas Water Development Board, Edwards Aquifer Authority, City of Del Rio, Texas, Texas Speleological Survey, National Speleological Society, and the National Association of Cave Divers. We provide water sampling, flow/velocity measurements, and year-round instrumentation/monitoring at no cost to interested agencies. Our work has been published in the Hydrogeology Journal and noted in the History of Texas Caving as well as recreational publications, including "Scuba Diving Magazine.” The GSEP was awarded the 2009 Exploration Award by the NSS-CDS for its work at Goodenough Springs.

Currently, the GSEP maintains a roster of twenty active participants and more than three dozen individual divers have participated over the life of the project. During our project's existence, we have collectively conducted more than 1,000 dives in this cave system. We continue to bring new participants into our project as need arises and space is available on the team's two full-time dive vessels.

The GSEP Board of Directors regrets to announce that we were compelled to temporarily suspend diving operations and remove elements of our equipment to prevent what we consider as a serious hazard to our project activities at Goodenough Springs. Our project was informed by reliable sources that a group led by Texas divers Steve Cushman and Colin Irons planned to use GSEP-owned equipment and resources to pursue a ‘deep’ dive during our ongoing research-related efforts. This information was also verified by postings on participants' Facebook pages. Additionally, the sources expressed serious concerns that the Cushman/Irons group’s stated intention to conduct a dive to 600 feet of depth could likely end in injury or death to the principal participants.

Historically, the GSEP has made no efforts to prohibit persons from diving at the site; GPS coordinates of the spring’s location and other relevant information are posted on our project website. When recently contacted by Mr. Irons, the GSEP provided cooperative responses to his inquires for other site-specific information; depth references for significant cave features were provided as well as photo-documentation of sub-surface topography.

Because our Board of Directors regarded the above-named group’s limited familiarity of this high-flow cave system to be inadequate for their proposed dive, the GSEP deemed it incumbent to implement preemptive actions to protect our project interests. Particularly in light of current site conditions we cannot, in clear conscience, provide even tacit support to such a grossly imprudent dive objective.

Poorly-conceived dives, such as the one proposed by Messrs. Cushman and Irons, jeopardize the continued access of the entire diving public. Local agents of the federal government have previously shown little tolerance for diving-related accidents and have prohibited all diving at a nearby submerged dam site following a fatality there.

The GSEP membership is disappointed and insulted by the behavior of these individuals. Their thoughtless interference has impeded our ability to continue our planned activities and is responsible for the temporary suspension of research and exploration efforts at Goodenough Springs.

Encroachment upon the activities of established dive projects has long been considered unacceptable by the established cave diving community. Therefore, the GSEP respectfully solicits your cooperation in condemning the selfish and ill-advised actions of the parties named in this complaint. We are confident that you support our mission and thank you in advance for helping to bring full public scrutiny to this incident.

Respectfully,
Chuck Noe - Director GSEP
GSEP Board of Directors - Robert Laird, Rick Aurich, Mike Gault, Gregg Tatum
PO Box 84194, Pearland, TX 77584

cc:
National Speleological Society - Cave Diving Section
National Association of Cave Divers
Technical Diving International
International Association of Nitrox and Technical Divers
Global Underwater Explorers
International Underwater Cave Rescue and Recovery
Texas Aquifer Research Alliance
Public Dive Forums - TheDecoStop.com, Cavediver.net, ScubaBoard.com

Thats sad news. Only takes a few irrisponsible people to closes places we all love.

We've heard from GESP and now I'd like to hear from Cushman and Irons on their qualifications and plan.

"Informed by reliable sources" sounds like a newspaper story.

We've heard from GESP and now I'd like to hear from Cushman and Irons on their qualifications and plan.

"Informed by reliable sources" sounds like a newspaper story.

Agreed that it would be good to hear their side, but it sounds like this information probably came from mutual acquaintances in the sport, rather than newspaper.

This information was also verified by postings on participants' Facebook pages. Additionally, the sources expressed serious concerns that the Cushman/Irons group’s stated intention to conduct a dive to 600 feet of depth could likely end in injury or death to the principal participants.

Sorry, I should have worded it better.

I didn't think they got it from a newspaper. To me the term "Informed by reliable sources" seems a very vague term.

Sorry, I should have worded it better.

I didn't think they got it from a newspaper. To me the term "Informed by reliable sources" seems a very vague term.

Gotcha. I follow your meaning now. :wink:

Most likely it came from someone who knew they were planning the dive, considered it risky, but didn't want to become involved in the "turf war."

Doesn't really matter.

If you plan to push a cave (wet or dry cave, or rock climb for instance as well) you need to have a "when in Rome" attitude. The GSEP folks are actively working the system and Cushman & Irons need to respect the methods GSEP is using and join them. Not forge off on their own. If GSEP ceases exploration its customary to ask if their efforts have ceased before taking over the project with whatever methods elect to use.

Basically, don't poach other people's projects.

Very sad news. I know a couple of the divers on the project. It's terrible that Chuck and the team have to put their work on hold because of a couple of divers using bad judgement and very poor form.

Last edited:
I saw Cushman and Irons response on cave divers forum looks like Chuck's blowing smoke and if he invites you to good enough Springs to dive don't expect him to keep his word.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom