GoPro camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've taken a few with the GoPro Hero 4 Black which is similar to the silver.

Here is one of the videos I've shot with it.

You can see more at my youtube channel here: Matt Leach

we have a GoPro4 Silver. It is great for what it does, We bought it when they first came out and really didn't know what we wanted (and didn't have time to ask around or do any research) The blue tooth transfer is very convenient when you get back to the room to just download photos and video to another device, the waterproof case is solid, floats on the surface, and has not failed us in any way,and it takes great photos and videos....but...

I wish I would have bought one of the underwater cameras with ability to see your shot immediately and see what you are taking the picture/video of. also, on our last trip, my finger hit the button that switched it from single shot to video and I missed pictures of a large green moray swimming literally with me for 50 or 60 yards. When we downloaded the photos, I was clicking the shudder button so fast, the video never had chance to start filming. There may be ways to lock the setting so a finger slip cant cause that to happen, but I haven't found it or had the urge to look for it.

Go Pros are great for what they are, but I wish I had immediate feedback on my shot, the ability to zoom in or out, easier settings, and a bigger screen.

Jay

I originally had a Hero 3+...now a Hero 4 Black. I think like any camera, there are pros and cons that go along with GoPros...and it definitely takes some repetition/practice to take full advantage of the pros and to minimize the cons.

I shoot mostly in video and then take screenshots of what I want for photos. They come out pretty good for posting or emailing. Have a Hero 3+ with the screen attachment. However, just yesterday lost my Backscatter dual filter mount off the GoPro while working my way back through thick seaweed to the rock ledges we entered from. Crap. Hopefully someone will come across it.

Upgraded from the original HD Hero to the 4 Silver, mainly because it became nearly impossible to get underwater filters for the original housing it seemed. I picked up the dedicated Dive housing for the 4, along with the Backscatter Flip system. The dive housing has a better latch (it has a secondary latch, as well as a short extension tab that makes it easier to open when the Flip frame is mounted. This way I can also keep the Flip system mounted when using the camera elsewhere in the standard housing.

I don't find myself using the screen underwater very much. it cuts off anyway, and the more it's on, the less battery life you have. It's nice for setup and checking things out though.

I'm not out looking for ultimate quality though - I just like sharing what I see under water with friends and family. The Gopro is an inexpensive way to get into a camera that requires minimal extra task loading while diving - it's along for the ride for the most part. I just start it and let it run, and try to point it in the general direction of things that I want to capture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom