GoPro Dome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfrymus

Registered
Reaction score
My goal is to attach a GoPro on top of the camera housing I will be using for stills.
Ultimately I can be shooting stills and capturing video in one dive. Either way, I will be attaching the GoPro to the top of the camera housing. When my mission is specifically for video, then it will be on its own GoPro tray.

I was looking for a GoPro dome I could use underwater for up to 40m, and will allow me to mount the GoPro onto the ikelite GoPro tray, or onto the other camera housing.

I have found some domes for the GoPro, but I am unsure how it mounts to the GoPro, and if it will still allow me to use my method of attachments - As most I've seen are with their own handheld mount.

Why do you want a dome? Are the possible advantages worth the definite disadvantages?

Why do you want a dome? Are the possible advantages worth the definite disadvantages?
Well, the dome would give you a wide field of view compared to the flat port that comes with the gopro housing. Am I not right?

Well, yes, but the GoPro alone is pretty wide, perhaps 100-110 deg as I remember. It is narrower, of course, than on land, but is still quite a wide-angle lens underwater.

Last edited:
I'm planning on building an external air lens using the acrylic or polycarbonate / lexan domes sold for security cameras, probably in a 3-4" size. This manufacturer has a pretty comprehensive list of options, but Ebay has tons of similar domes for a fraction of the cost shipped from Asia. My shopping list + construction:
  • security camera dome, 3-4" diameter, 3/16"-1/4" thickness, with flange
  • non-reflective/black gasket material with centered rectangular cutout sized to GoPro dive housing port
  • flat acrylic or polycarbonate, 1/4" or thicker, cut to match flange on dome
  • rubber push mount (as sold with some red filters) or Backscatter 3.1 flip mount to affix to GoPro dive housing
  • stainless bolts & nuts
  • lanyard for security, if I'm using a push mount.
With long enough stainless bolts, it shouldn't be difficult to also weight the dome for neutral or desired buoyancy. Buoyancy and drag issues favor smaller domes, over/under shots at surface favor larger ones.

My budget for everything is ~ $60-90.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom