GoPro HD underwater blur fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How does the go pro hero 2 compare ?

Check My Vimeo channel for some recent HD2 underwater footage plus loots of older HD1 video to give you a bit of an idea. HD2 is much better in low light and this has made it a big improvement when used underwater, Ive had pretty crappy conditions lately and havent had any deep dives on it yet but even on the shallower stuff in not ideal conditions it turns out much better then the same site with a HD1.

marty cerven on Vimeo

Ive seen a few other users post some deeper video and it looks much better then HD1 footage, 720P mode is much sharper and 1080P wide mode works great underwater.

is it ideal or much of a difference using a green or cyan filter urpro with the blurfix ? costs anolther $100 for the urpro cyan filter

Im wondering what difference HD2 would make in low light? Realizing that it achieves 160 FPS vs 30, or 60, is the sensor a higher quality or larger size? If there is something about the HD2 that significantly improves its low light performance I would like to know about that. Would make upgrading a no brainer.

is it ideal or much of a difference using a green or cyan filter urpro with the blurfix ? costs anolther $100 for the urpro cyan filter

It depends on what sort of water you generally dive in, if its regular water conditions where you regularly dive you should only need the one that suits your conditions best. I haven't dived much green water but I do have a green filter so it doesnt get much use yet, at winter time we tend to get more greenish water but I haven't dived as much over winter and when I did the water stayed fairly blue anyhow. The cyan is pretty good for most regular ocean conditions but there are some locations where your water may tend to be fairly green and then you may want that filter instead.

@fdarden the sensor in the HD2 is a step up in quality, but I don't think its gone up in size as the lens is still the same size as the HD2 so a larger sensor wouldn't be of much benefit I think. I will soon be posting some UW comparison shots with the HD1s vs HD2s including with and without filters.

It doesn't reach 160fps but 120fps in 480P mode, 60P in 720P but the quality is much better in this mode as the HD1 looks like it just up-scales 480P footage in its 720P mode. 960p can do 50/48 fps and 1080 is still limited to 30p in all my use so far though the HD2 does much better in lower light, this is best seen when shooting indoors using artificial lighting as the HD1 struggles pretty bad where as the HD2 is still very usable in such light. Underwater the HD2 seems to handle the lower light much better too, its still far from perfect in very low light but its a big step up from what the HD1 could do.

Using color correction filters are an affordable alternative to a light system. Take a look at the video below, I think it's a good video showing the science of color correction filters. Hope this helps. Have a great day!

[video=youtube;XsR0a4vyX6Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsR0a4vyX6Q[/video]

Like the video by aquapro there you can see how much better an image you get with a filter, I pretty much do all daylight dives with a filter as its amazing how much of an improvement there is.

I use the UR pro range from SRP which are generally regarded as the best uw filters available and used by most high end housing makers. With the results ive got from them I havent felt the need to try any others and in comparison to a cheap orange filter I tried once they blew it away as the cheap one ended much darker and the colours werent anywhere near as good.

Main plus of filters if used in the correct depth and lighting conditions they do an awesome job, they are a standout feature of the blurfix I think.

Big advantage filters have over lights for daytime use is that a filter will improve the colours to a much greater distance then even the most expensive lighting setup, which will still only be effective to a few feet in daytime use. In poor light and conditions though lights are needed as filters need plenty of natural light to be effective.

I think it's important to mention that the UR Pro filters from SRP have been milled down to eliminate vignetting. We'll also have a basic guide explaining usage of color-correcting filters available later this month.

I think it's important to mention that the UR Pro filters from SRP have been milled down to eliminate vignetting. We'll also have a basic guide explaining usage of color-correcting filters available later this month.

Meaning that UR Pro filters from my LCS (local camera shop) will not render the same results?

Meaning that UR Pro filters from my LCS (local camera shop) will not render the same results?

They will provide the same color correction but you will notice additional vignetting since the UR Pro does not offer a milled down version. Hope this help?

First, a GREAT BIG THANKS to marty, blurryfix, AquaProHD and everyone else. Reading your posts helped me choose my solution.

I have GoPro Hero 2 with Blurfix and UR Pro CY filter. I have a Sola light for fill in and night dives.

Any advice on what MODES work best underwater? I saw earlier posts say R3 780p 60 - was that for GP Hero 1?

help!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom