GoPro HD underwater blur fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking the head mount isn't the best spot for any camera when SCUBA diving. All those darn bubbles would get in the way!

Yeah true, but they don't always (mostly when you're looking up). But sometimes when they do they create kind of a cool effect.

Vancouverdiver -to address a few of your concerns:

Shooting without viewfinder takes some practice. I personally had a tendency of shooting well above the subject.

Similarly b/c the camera is so small and light under water you need to attach it to an object (headmount, monorod) to fix the position and make it more stable. I am about to order a tray/flex arm to attach a uk light cannon hid light for "non-action" reef shoots, which should add a little mass and make it more stable.

As already mentioned there are several flat lens solutions out there that fix the blur issue -- I have the goforfocus.com lens that comes with red color correction filter. Works great but with a bit of halo effect when shooting underwater towards the sun (mostly when close to the surface).

Here's video link below with the replacement lens (not using the color filter).

YouTube - Dutch Springs Freediving 10-6-2010

My gopro runs warm (but not hot). Only experienced fogging one time --and it was pretty bad. I was filming while whitewater rafting in Bali. Air temp was 85-90 degrees, and the camera kept getting splashed with cold water.

I have noted some serious discoloration issues with the gopro on two occasions --I will start a new thread and discuss these and show some video examples.

What I do find annoying with the gopro is that the red recording light is on the front of the camera. Half the times you end up filming your own face just to be able to tell if the camera is on.

Overall I'm very happy with the GoPro. You get what you pay for and then some.

Hi all,
I'm interested in the gopro and was hoping those who have used it could share your experience on these specific questions:
-Is it comfortable above the dive mask, and secure over your hood?
-Since you don't have a viewfinder, it looks like it is hard to shoot steady video, and frame the subject matter very well?
-has gopro issued the fix or do you still have to go with the aftermarket?
-has anyone taken it down to 180 ft? any leak issues? I would want to take it down to this depth.
-there is a post that it gets very hot inside the housing. Anyone have any issues?
Overall, it is hands free which is an advantage, but does that mean you have to accept a jiggly abrupt recording of the subject matter with every single head movement?
thanks in advance for your insight.

Very cool video and awesome diving. I made my first gopro spearfishing video last week with no lens correction. The blur is really bad and I need to get a fix asap. I was really hoping for a factory fix but it may not come soon enough.

YouTube - 2010_11_11_diving

In the video I have the camera mounted on the speargun near the handle.
I ordered the heasdstrap mount and some stuff to try and make my own flat lens setup.
Hopefully I can get something that can hold me over until gopro gets something out.

Mine no longer "Runs Hot". GoPro recomends a Class4 or higher SD card. Which at the time of the hot camera, I was not using. I swapped it for an appropiate card and problem solved. I've had mine to 107' with no problems.
I too often shoot high with mine. I'm looking at making a pistol grip for it out of a light grip. They run about 15 bucks at my LDS. Has anyone experienced the sticky mount provided coming loose in the water? It's says it's waterproof but I have my doubts.
I have noticed with an LED light it can't correct enough and you end up "whiting out" the subject. I've had success with non-LED lights.

I have the sticky mount on my scooter and it has been on more than 10 dive and down to 120' and no problems. I have the EyeOfMine housing and the replacement lens for the stock housing from GoForFocus. Both have been to 120' with no problems. You can see the lense a little from the GoForFocus if you are are shooting up toward the sun, but other than that normal shooting is fine. Here is a link to some of the video I have shot with it in a local quarry. GoPro at local quarry

While one of these small cameras will never replace my larger housing, I have been waiting for a descent fix for this camera. It would make a nice b-roll camera. But.......
All the "fixes" - while currently functional - are a little dissappointing to me. I thought that a REPLACEMENT FLAT GLASS port would be available. I checked the links on this thread and the replacement lens is plastic, and the "overmoulded" Eyeofmine lens just seems "rigged" to me.
I think that the problem with the original lens was part focal length of the dome, but also that is is PLASTIC!
Even good glass has it faults when examined under HD resolution, and If you are expected to shoot through such a small area of plastic.....then any abberation will be noticed.
OH Well, I guess I'll hold off on getting one of these.....I already made the mistake of buying the Contour HD, ....its housing is only good to 30' and a manufacturing defect in my 2 housings caused them to crack the first time I snapped them closed.
I am currently having a machine shop build me a housing which I hope to test to over 300', and Then I'll have something useful! ...oh....and it has a GLASS lens.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom