GoPro Hero 3 vs. 3+ ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FaithC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Thinking about getting a Go Pro Black but saving some money and getting the 3 instead of the 3+. I am new to GoPro and diving, but I'd be using this for kayaking as well. I searched and couldn't find any threads comparing the two. So I am looking for opinions and advice.

Thanks!

-Faith

Faith.. I think u had not search enough. There are a couple of YouTube videos that can help u.

I can't link as I am not good with copying to the phone...

The benefits of having the new Hero 3+ are:-

Better battery life, approx 20-30% better
SuperView, extra wide angle
Faster wifi, less lag, around 1sec now compared to around 4secs
Smaller housing, smaller and lighter but less waterproof, only 40mtrs compared to 60mtrs. Although you can still use the Hero 3 housing if you need the extra 20mtrs

There have been some complaints of the Hero 3+ have less focus at distant but it looks like this could be resolved in the latest batch of Hero 3+ cameras.

The biggest benefit for watersports use is the extra battery life. Changing batteries underwater is impossible and changing batteries around water isn't a good idea.

So for me, I think I'd recommend the 3+ purely for this reason.

Having said that, if you wanted to fit a battery bacpac to the Hero 3, that would give you better battery life, but is an optional extra.

If you're a fan of camping out at BestBuy on Thanksgiving, Hero3 Blacks will be going for $249 at 6pm. If you're not, its a fairly safe assumption that a couple online retailers will be matching it. You'll just have to figure out which ones.

Hi FaithC, the Hero3+ is slightly better in battery life and picture quality. If money isn't a concern (difference between 3 black and 3+black is around $100), I'd go with the 3+.

Other reasons that you may want to consider the original 3 black edition are the BacPac and LCD compatibility. If you play be purchase either of these accessories, they are currently only compatible with the older housing. That is, you would need to also purchase the original 3 housing to be able to use these.

...If you play be purchase either of these accessories, they are currently only compatible with the older housing. That is, you would need to also purchase the original 3 housing to be able to use these.
The "limited edition" version they are shipping right now includes an original hero 3 housing to resolve the compatibility issues.

Battery BacPac?| Attach it to double your GoPro camera?s battery life
GoPro LCD Touch BacPac?| Removable LCD touch screen for GoPro Cameras

The "limited edition" version they are shipping right now includes an original hero 3 housing to resolve the compatibility issues.

Battery BacPac?| Attach it to double your GoPro camera?s battery life
GoPro LCD Touch BacPac?| Removable LCD touch screen for GoPro Cameras

That looks like a pretty good deal for the housing and BacPac battery. I think I paid $50 for just the replacement housing once. In that case, It does make sense to get the new 3+ over the 3 even if planning to get the BacPac.

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the quick synopsis.

If this review (GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition Review) is to be believed, the 3+ keeps focus at shorter ranges. If you are using this for scuba, this may be an advantage. I have a Hero3 Black, and while I love it, the one thing that it is poor at for underwater video is close up shots - small fish, or close ups of crayfish, start getting fuzzy if you get the camera closer than about 20cm/8". I will look at buying a 3+ for this summer's diving if I can confirm that that is the case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom