GoPro Hero5 vs Sony FDR-X3000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_jaguar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been torn trying to figure out which one to get. The X3000 apparently has really good video stabilization at 4K (which the Hero5 doesn't) and might also have better video/photo quality. X3000 comes with an underwater case vs me having to buy one for the Hero5.

Have any of you used the X3000 on your dives? I would really appreciate your feedback here.

$368 on Amazon for the Sony and it comes with a 60m housing. I think I'd be going for that.

I wonder if GoPro housing filters fit on the Sony housing. The Sony housing lens cover looks suspiciously like the GoPro Dive housing lens cover.

The only thing that would really me up is I'd want to figure out how the Sony dive housing attaches to things. If it has a threaded hole for a tripod, you're good to go, as it's very cheap to buy a tripod-to-GoPro mount adapter that would then let you mount the Sony on any GoPro mount. Plus you could directly mount it on an u/w camera tray, with lights.

I switched from GoPro to the Sony X3000 as my secondary UW cam. Much better picture quality. No regrets.

I switched from GoPro to the Sony X3000 as my secondary UW cam. Much better picture quality. No regrets.

I'm strongly considering making the switch from GoPro to the Sony. My one and only concern is not seeing what I'm shooting underwater. What's your experience been like in that regard? Is it an issue?

There is also one thing that the Sony has that nobody else has mentioned that can not be overlooked. The Sony has a Zeiss lens.

I go with gopro hero 5 black , i want to see what i shoot when diving
I have a sony actioncam and above is the reason i'm going to switch to a hero5 as soon as I can afford it.
The quality of the footage is excellent, but it's always a guess if your shooting in the right direction.
Mostly the object is in the edge of the frame.

I'm strongly considering making the switch from GoPro to the Sony. My one and only concern is not seeing what I'm shooting underwater. What's your experience been like in that regard? Is it an issue?

I've been using a GoPro Hero 3 Black. I have always just held it in my hand and never used the LCD back. I have never had any real trouble keeping it pointed at what I want.

Here are some videos I shot with it. All these are completely unedited. And, again, shot by just holding the camera in my hand and with no LCD to let me see what it was recording.

I suppose they are not perfect, but I'm not sure I would do much better with the size of screen that I would have if I actually used the LCD back on the GP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom