GoPro locking up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griffo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone else had problems with their gopro locking up? Mines only a couple of weeks old, and I put on the new firmware before coming on holidays. A couple of times when I've turned it off, it has frozen and become unresponsive. The only way to recover it is to remove the battery which is a bit hard underwater :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had the same issue after updating to the latest firmware on 2 HD2's, I had a lockup on one camera straight after the update scrolling the menu. Then both cameras locked up when I was recording some video, I did a 3d quick video test with no issues but when I tried both cameras on their own they both froze during recording.

I thought it was firmware related but maybe SD card corruption. For this to happen to 2 separate cameras with different SD cards I thought it was quite odd so I tried reformatting them properly to see if that would fix this issue.

I did a full PC format of my SD cards and since I have had no issues completing about 10 full battery cycles with video recording and no issues since. Make sure your set the same parameters as in this pic below and do a full format rather then quick.

formatt.jpg

I don't know if this corruption occurred while doing the firmware update in some way or if the new firmware is just more sensitive to format errors on the SD card itslef but this has fixed that issue for me as far as I can tell.

A good tip is to avoid sharing SD cards between cameras too but if you do then do a full format prior to using the card in a GoPro, then also do an in camera format by going to settings delete all/format prior to use to ensure your SD card is clean and properly formatted for the GoPro.

Many devices do leave extra files on the SD card as may your computer whenever you connect your camera to it via USB, other devices may also reformat the SD card to a different format and the GoPro from my experience gets unstable with different types of formats and some left over hidden files or folders on the SD card.

I never normally connect my GoPro to the PC to transfer files but instead use a separate SD card reader, transfer speeds are much faster on a card reader and by not using the USB plug and play feature when connecting a device it avoids the computer from putting extra crap onto the SD card which has shown to sometimes cause issues with the GoPro cameras.

The only other times I had such issues is when I shared my SD card with other devices, this was fixed with the same method and that's why I tried this to see if it was the cause too which it seams as it was.

---------- Post added ----------

One reason I can think that this firmware update could also be causing issues is that after the update the date setting in the camera is reset. If you have any files on the SD card from prior to updating this could cause the camera to freeze by it seeing dates that are ahead of the cameras date causing it to freeze as in the huge year "2000" bug lol.

This could be due to other video or image files on the card or any of the other hidden files or even folder creation dates on the card itself.

Thanks. I've tried a full format, and now a new SD cord, and it still locks up. Stupid camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have noticed the new firmware isnt playing as nicely with some SD cards as the past versions, if you don't have the WiFi bacpac yet then you can revert back to the v70 firmware using the method from this thread.

GoProUser.freeforums.org • Login

The new firmware doesn't add anything that I can tell apart from supporting the WiFi bacpac and has made some improvements when using the 3D kit. I had some stability issues with my SD cards with it too but they have been sorted after reformatting in my case.

The last firmware prior to the WiFi one for the HD2 is the v.70 which can be downloaded in the first link if this worked fine with your card before updating to the latest this may fix your issue.

Make sure you follow the instructions properly and this is only for the HD2 so anyone that tries this with the original HD hero will most likely kill the camera.

While my camera hasn't locked up as per the OP's topic, something similar is that upon power up 80-90% of the time, my back LCD monitor displays only white. When I cycle the LCD side power button on/off the normal LCD screen of camera image does display.

But you'd think I wouldn't have to power the camera on, see the white screen, cycle monitor on/off, to finally get to view the camera viewfinder. During the white screen of death, Pressing the cameras' front button simply cycles from Video to still camera to 10 shot burst and such, all with the white screen of death.........

So other than cycling the LCD screen power on/off, once the camera is turned on, do I get the back LCD screen to come on automatically upon camera power on?

Brand new GoPro2 one month old, not sure what firm ware I have.

THANKS for any advice.

I want to say I read something similar about lock-up recently either in Amazon reviews or maybe a backpacking forum. Cant remember, but maybe someone can get an answer from the company.

While my camera hasn't locked up as per the OP's topic, something similar is that upon power up 80-90% of the time, my back LCD monitor displays only white. When I cycle the LCD side power button on/off the normal LCD screen of camera image does display.

But you'd think I wouldn't have to power the camera on, see the white screen, cycle monitor on/off, to finally get to view the camera viewfinder. During the white screen of death, Pressing the cameras' front button simply cycles from Video to still camera to 10 shot burst and such, all with the white screen of death.........

So other than cycling the LCD screen power on/off, once the camera is turned on, do I get the back LCD screen to come on automatically upon camera power on?

Brand new GoPro2 one month old, not sure what firm ware I have.

THANKS for any advice.

You can check your firmware by doing an in camera format, got through settings to extra and then delete all/format. This will create a file called version.txt in the MISC folder, this file will tell you what firmware version your camera is running.

There is a LCD screen bug with one of the older firmware versions but I think this may be different to your issue as this is a black screen of death. http://gopro.com/support/article/?21318337

Its possible the expansion port on your camera or LCD may have some dirt in there or something so try and clean it out in a safe way if you see any build up possibly, if it keeps happening your probably best off contacting GoPro support as there may be something wrong with the screen.

My Firmware:

{"info version":"1.0", "firmware version":"HD2.08.12.70", "camera type":"HD2",}

FYI:

this off of GoPro website on the latest firmware update:

Product update version 8.12.124 has been released for the HD HERO2. This update adds compatibility for the Wi-Fi premium accessories to the HD HERO2 cameras, and also has a fix to allow you to repair connection with the LCD BacPac, should it have ever failed. Click here to go to the HD HERO2 Product Update page. Please take a look at the LCD BacPac Black Screen with HD HERO2 article for instructions on how to fix your LCD BacPac.

So I tried a couple of cards without luck - including one from another gopro. But a new Kingston card seems to work. Fussy thing

Replied using Tapatalk. Please forgive my typing.

My Firmware:

{"info version":"1.0", "firmware version":"HD2.08.12.70", "camera type":"HD2",}

FYI:

this off of GoPro website on the latest firmware update:

Product update version 8.12.124 has been released for the HD HERO2. This update adds compatibility for the Wi-Fi premium accessories to the HD HERO2 cameras, and also has a fix to allow you to repair connection with the LCD BacPac, should it have ever failed. Click here to go to the HD HERO2 Product Update page. Please take a look at the LCD BacPac Black Screen with HD HERO2 article for instructions on how to fix your LCD BacPac.

I think v70 was the firmware that fixed that particular black screen bug and you already have that versio, seeing you have a different issue I don't think the newer wifi bacpac will make any difference either. Your best to contact GoPro support as your situation doesn't sound too good and your best off dealing with this while its still under warranty, before the screen dies on you for good.

Back
Top Bottom