GoPro on a flash light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FM1520

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I noticed a couple of divers that mounted their GoPro on their flashlight. They were not necessarily using the flashlight as a light source but more as a platform since it will be there anyway. On some lights they can just use one of the curved or flat mounts on the flashlight but I don't think that will work on my light. I also noticed a metal band sort of like a lobster measuring thing mounted on the front of the flashlight. If I mount it on the flat part at the rear of the housing too much of the flashlight is in the picture so it needs to be more towards the front. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 5,768
Use a stainless steel hose clamp? Could just be installed over the black rubber part.

I have been looking into a GoPro mounted to my can light head, but not sure about the video it produces. I would like to see some before doing so.

yes, stainless steel hose clamp would work, but how do you attach the GoPro mount to the hose clamp? I'll experiment this weekend, my next dive isn't until the 4th so I've got some time.

I wish I had kept the video to post, so if you are inclined to take my word for it I'll say this.

I think it would be a good place to mount the camera, but the light source isn't very conducive to filming, a hot spot I think they call it, is all you see on the image. I tried on two separate dives to use my Princeton Tech light similar to OP's UK light as a video light...the footage was so poor that I erased it. I have since gone to a SeaLife video light and I am so much happier with the results.

yep, I've heard that also. as I mentioned, the flashlight is being used more as platform not a light source for the camera. The logic is the flash light is easy to point and to hold and I pretty much always take it with me.

The logic is the flash light is easy to point and to hold and I pretty much always take it with me./QUOTE]

I hear you on that. The nice thing about the GoPro from my perspective is that it is pretty easy to try different mountings and arrangements until the appropriate one or combination is found. Personally I have three different configurations that I use depending on the type of diving I'm doing.

The only problem is that I keep spending more money on gadgets for something that was supposed to be a cheaper alternative in underwater photography. :banghead:

You have the right idea using something that you already own and can modify cheaply and easily. Let me know how it works out.

NO! You'll have a center burn (hot spot) that will wash out most of your shot
. You need a high lumen video spot for clear imaging if your serious about light.

I bought a GoPro tripod mount for $7.99, stainless dryer band for $1.50 and a PVC plug for .81 and had a bolt in my tool box. I drilled a hole in the top of the plug for the mounting screw and then cut the flange off, and then made four "legs" or posts. The front two are shorter than the rear two to compensate for the rubber boot on flashlight. I also cut a slit on both sides of the plug to thread the band through. I used a drimal (sp?) tool for the cutting. Seems pretty stable on land, I'll post my results including video after my first dive.

Attachments

• IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0671.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 7,564
NO! You'll have a center burn (hot spot) that will wash out most of your shot
. You need a high lumen video spot for clear imaging if your serious about light.

I wrapped the head mount around my flashlight for my second dive this weekend, onto a Shockwave 400 lumen cannon. My buddy suggested it, so I wanted to see what kind of results I'd get.

The movies were no good. Anything I got close enough to see was washed out, the balance was off so half the movie was simply the spot, but washed out, and the remainder was black. I'll post some stills later if you'd like, but the results were worse by far compared to the head mount. I'll point out that my batteries were nearly dead for the dive too, and the reflections killed everything. It might have worked on photo mode (I'll try that next) but I think I have to mount the camera higher.

If you really wanted to mount the camera to your flashlight, just use the adhedive flat mount that came with the kit. Tie a lanyard around it if you're really worried, but mine hasn't come off my bike helmet.

Back
Top Bottom