Gopro To Tablet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I see a few threads addressing transferring video from a GoPro to a tablet, but nothing in the past couple of years. Yes, I'm a GoPro newbie, planning to take my new Hero 4 Silver for its first dive trip (Indonesia). I am not interested in editing video during the trip, but I would like to be able to replay video clips on a screen that's larger than the tiny touch-screen on the Hero 4 Silver. My 7 year-old Dell laptop is slow, bulky, and from what I have been able to determine, doesn't even have the kind of video card that's optimal for GoPro video. I am not taking it on this trip. I have an Android tablet that I am planning to take. I don't think it has a micro SD card slot. It does have a micro USB port. I haven't done a lot of research, but a tablet question that someone had posted (not sure when--could be years old) on GoPro's site was answered to the effect that it is not possible to transfer video from the GoPro to a tablet. According to that answer, still images can be transferred, but not video. Is this (still) correct? Perhaps there is now some app available to facilitate what was previously not possible?

no. you can transfer video from your gopro to your tablet...not sure where you get the incorrect info from.

However, due to android's firmware fragmentation. it can be sometimes frustrating that the gopro cannot connect to the android device using wifi.

an otg cable might solved the problem, but again the fragmentation also affect that

you can try to connect the devices through the gopro app and download the video ... if it works..then great! else...

you can get a WD my passport wireless or other similar type of hhd which you can download into it. then you can view/download the video using the WD app.
Amazon.com: WD 1TB My Passport Wireless Portable External Hard Drive - WIFI USB 3.0 - WDBK8Z0010BBK-NESN: Computers & Accessories

Thanks @novasquid and @hellhole. I have an external Seagate hard drive that I might be able to use. It is not wireless, so I guess I need an OTG cable. And I would also need to see if Seagate has an app that enables this. That Seagate might have an app did not occur to me.

I have a "wireless flash drive" that is a thumb drive with it's own battery, and uses microSD for memory. Made by SanDisc. There are newer ones, but this is the one I have:

Amazon.com: SanDisk SDWS2-064G-E57 Connect 64GB Wireless Flash Drive for Smartphones and Tablets: Computers & Accessories

I also have a WD MyPasport wireless hard drive for portable large storage...

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Wire...63160514&sr=8-2&keywords=My+Passport+Wireless

With both of these, you remove the card from the camera, and plug it into the drive. From there, you use the wireless to transfer (or stream) to the tablet via software from the drive manufacturer.

I will be surprise that they have an app for otg.

U will have to deal with the android fragmentation... Good luck :)

If you are simply wanting to play the videos on a larger display, why not just hook up the GoPro directly to the monitor with an HDMI cable?

[QUOTEis no HD"Divernoob, post: 7693322, member: 144229"]If you are simply wanting to play the videos on a larger display, why not just hook up the GoPro directly to the monitor with an HDMI cable?[/QUOTE]
There is no HDMI connector on my tablet. Just micro USB.

There is no HDMI connector on my tablet. Just micro USB.

I think you have a few options here. Wired being the best. A simple adapter should allow HDMI to MHL Micro USB. Here's a video (not in English) but it's simple enough to figure out. Basically the GoPro acts as a external drive.

A free option, assuming you're using an Android tablet with SDcard support, is to simply move the GoPro SDcard to the Tablet. Again it will act as a drive allowing playback.

Another free option, which works fine for lower quality review is the GoPro app. If your tablet has a powerful processor you may find the quality to be just fine.

Tablet doesn't have an SD card slot. However, I was mistaken about the HDMI. Someone just looked at the tablet and informed me that the connector into which I have been plugging the charger is actually an HDMI port.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom