Got back into diving and bought new equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elbig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been diving for 30 years but got out of it years ago except occasional vacation dives . I recently decided I wanted to get back into it since I moved to Southeast Florida. I completed my Advanced Open Water and wanted to get my own equipment. I read this board and understandably have seen many opinions about equipment.

My goal was to buy quality gear from a trusted LDS. I chose a Scubapro dealer and and very happy with my choices. I have the MK25EVO/S620 ti reg, G2 computer and Hydros Pro bc. Not only do I love this stuff, I get great support from the dealer. Some may say that the dealer just pushed all the top of line to up the sale. I don't see it that way. We discussed in great detail my situation and I am very pleased with the result.

I have read many threads about buying used, doing self-maintenance, etc for rec divers. I have no problem with that at all but I wouldn't completely dismiss going the trusted LDS route and buying new. There is a support and comfort level that increases overall experience. They seem eager to answer all my questions and have spent a lot of time with me. They have even recommended some options that they do not carry.

Overall my experience has been excellent and I wanted to put in plug for supporting an LDS.

Scubapro equipment is top quality. I have only owned SP BC's over my 25 years of diving and have never had a single issue or failure. You have some really nice equipment that you should enjoy for many years to come.

It sounds like you made great choices in your purchase of your dive equipment and your LDS was there to help you in your choices. Congratulations!!

Please do let us know what you think of the G2 computer (in the SP forum perhaps).

New from a shop is certainly an option! Much of my gear came that way. It's too bad not everyone has the same good experience with a dive shop that thinks long term and has the customers interest in mind, rather than only going for the max quick sale. I think the alternatives get discussed on here a lot because most dive shops aren't going to point out those options. Also because many people are looking at getting into an expensive sport on a limited budget.

I'm happy for you. My experience was the opposite. I got loaded up with a Scubapro classic, Galileo Luna, novas, snorkel, et. al, plus a speargun which I have yet to use after 1 year. After 3 months, I sold my gear and ate the loss as I transitioned to a DSS bpw, perdix ai, Hollis F1's, pocket snorkel, and a GUE foundation. I couldn't be happier now; however, I had to find the information and gear myself. I had no idea when I started what options were out there. I assumed what the instructors dove was the best setup. I felt more than a bit gullible when I found out that all the lds instructors were required to wear SP gear in order to market it to students.

Wow. That's quite a big deal. Why did you sell after 3 months? I am happy with my gear. I like the G2 but I do hear the Perdix AI is awesome.

Wow. That's quite a big deal. Why did you sell after 3 months? I am happy with my gear. I like the G2 but I do hear the Perdix AI is awesome.

Without going into too much detail, I'll just say that I've drunk the bpw kool-aid and can't imagine ever wanting to dive a jacket bc again. Oh, and I did see the Hydro, and I could afford it, but I was not going to let the salespeople flip me into that for $900, especially after spending what I had already spent on their recs. I know people like the Hydros, but let's just say that I prefer a bpw with a nice, clean DIR hogarthian setup... Long hose w 2nd bungee'd around neck. Oh, and I need exactly zero weight with steel hp 100's with my kydex bp and a 3/2.

I assumed what the instructors dove was the best setup. I felt more than a bit gullible when I found out that all the lds instructors were required to wear SP gear in order to market it to students.
When the dive shop I used to work for switched agencies, it adopted that agency's marketing techniques as taught by their President and CEO. Part of that was identifying the preferred gear to sell, based upon profit margins. The instructors were required to purchase (at a good discount) all those specific items, from head to toe (at a discount) and wear them in all instructional sessions. We were to tell all the students that we had personally chosen that equipment because it was the very best. Not one item was one I actually did use in my own diving. The shop did sell what I used, but it did not have the preferred profit margin, and I was not permitted to tell students that in my personal diving I used something other than my "instructor uniform." I quit at that point, so I never had to lie to my students that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom