Got certified today! And froze.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

are you willing to learn? we like the diverse undersea life, warm water, great viz and easy diving.

hands down beats the random assortment of junk (stove, tire, old car) that i got to see when i was certified.

I got certified to dive Great Lakes shipwrecks I've been reading about for something like 25 years, not to look at the fishies.

I got certified to dive Great Lakes shipwrecks I've been reading about for something like 25 years, not to look at the fishies.
too cold, too deep. if i want to see wrecks, i can look at the overturned cars in my neighbours back yard...

too cold, too deep. if i want to see wrecks, i can look at the overturned cars in my neighbours back yard...

Lots of wrecks 60' or shallower.

congrats did my open water up here in Canada in mid Sept in similar conditions but wore 7mm john and 7 mm jacket so 14 mm core and stayed pretty warm of course 5 mm boots,gloves and hood .but i already purcgased a dry suit for spring and aM taking drysuit course right now

AhHaHa! Water temp 46? That's like the NE Atlantic on any given day. It only starts to hurt in the 30's.

Just bustin'. Well done!
Yeah 46 is OK, if on a warm day in May (or even mid June, as mid 40s is still happening here then). Not so great if it's Dec.
1bubbleoff-- 57 can in some years be our summer high water temp. --Though I have seen 68 once. Unless OW students all are given and trained in drysuits, that's just the way it is. Courses at the shop I used to DM ran from April to early Dec., and in northern areas I believe this is quite normal.
spectrum--Good cold water tips. Though too bad they have to be spelled out--if you live up north and dive cold water these things are just common sense.
dumspterD--Good tip about avoiding scalding water down the suit. Have to admit I've never used the warm water thing. Don't know why, maybe just lazy.

At some point we knew the cold vs. warm water thing would come up. The diving here is OK, and not just tires and other junk. But if I had the money I'd be in the tropics every other week collecting shells and looking at really cool stuff without a ton of lead and thick wetsuit. Who really wouldn't?

Congrats! Just think, all other dives will feel like the Caribbean in comparison!

...//... At some point we knew the cold vs. warm water thing would come up. ...//... I had the money I'd be in the tropics every other week collecting shells and looking at really cool stuff without a ton of lead and thick wetsuit. Who really wouldn't?
Point taken. There is another view on this. One of my very early instructor's.

One fish, two fish. Red fish, blue fish. They all have names. I'll be back next year to feed you again.

Is it time to go home yet? Captain found a snag, it's real. Junk came up...

@Chip Elliott Congratulations on getting certified. Sounds like you enjoyed it despite the cold.

If you are cold I would look at doing a course and renting a drysuit for your future dives. That or possibly try to find a second hand one on Ebay, Craigslist etc.

:eek: How can you forget about SB's classifieds! Oh, the humanity! :wink:

@Chip Elliott Congratulations on getting certified. Sounds like you enjoyed it despite the cold.

If you are cold I would look at doing a course and renting a drysuit for your future dives. That or possibly try to find a second hand one on Ebay, Craigslist etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom