Got My DM - But I Don't Want to Dive "This Way"...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Background:

I got back into diving 3 years ago after a 20+ year surface interval. A year later I decided to become a DM and paid my money and started on the road which then took almost two years (many stops and starts). I finished my DM several weeks ago and was asked to "help out" with my first class by my DM instructor/mentor.

During the two year period, my dear sweet wife gently cajoled me over to "the dark side" -- very slowly over -- first with Essentials, then Rec 2, then GUE DIR-F, then Cavern/Intro to Cave, next NAUI HeliOx and lastly Full Cave. In other words, I'm diving a full Hog Rig (BP/W, can light, long hose, bungied backup, no snorkel, jet fins/frog kick, etc.). I must say, I do like my gear setup (which includes the AI Cobra instead of an SPG and AI Vytec on my wrist -- not totally "in the dark!").

During my whole DM training, my instructor/mentor "suggested" I dive a "normal" rig in the pool (SeaQuest Balance) but let me keep my snorkel in my pocket per standards but also let me dive the BP/W (and sometimes doubles) during OW dives with the classes.

So now I have my DM card and agreed to "help out" with an OW class with my instructor/mentor. I showed up at the pool with the same gear I'd been using in my DM class (SeaQuest Balance, Airsource, snorkel in pocket). At the end of the class it was "suggested" that I put the snorkel on my mask so that the students wouldn't be confused. Hmmmm.

Today I asked him if he minded if I dove "my gear" in OW and told him I wasn't all that comfortable diving the Balance in OW. (I haven't dived it in OW for two years.) He "suggested" that I ditch the "technical gear" and just dive the "regular" gear so as to NOT confuse the students AND so as to defuse potential liability issues/questions (don't ask!). He also told me I shouldn't worry about my trim (etc.) because I'll be so concerned with where students are that my trim won't be of any concern!

What do I want from y'all by writing this? I'm not at all sure. I just needed to put it out there -- just a rant and vent if you will.

My DM career may be a very short one! (However, I've already been asked to work with another instructor/another shop -- she just happens to be a cave diver.)

You know Peter, I was once going to take a DM course but for the training only really. Lots to learn but frankly, I don't have the patience to be a DM. You can still be a DM in your BP/W, leading dives and such.

Dive what makes you comfortable. If they want you to conform to their gear set-up, you need to decide if you are willing to sacrifice that or walk away.

Myself personally, I think it helps students to see that there isn't "one rig to rule them all". I also cannot see myself helping out or mentoring in a situation where I don't feel comfortable (ie my own gear or same thing but what the shop sells).

There may be more at work here. Don't forget that making the transition to DM is just as much about keeping the business in business as it is about introducing new people to the wonders of diving. Because if there is no business, there is no introducing.

Just my 2 psi, take it for what it is worth.

I guess it depends on why you wanted to get DM certified (congratulations by the way!).
If you did it to introduce, teach and mentor new divers into the sport we all love then the gear configuration should not be an issue. If you did it for personal growth and knowledge, then don your tech gear and forget training newbees.

I got the same attitude when I did my instructor course. In the pool it was useful to have a jacket and short hose for demonstration purposes and also not to confuse the students but in open water I dove what is commonly known as a "hog rig".
I explained to my students the differences and why I did so and they were all good about it even though my boss reckoned I would confuse them. The boss didn't like it but agreed I could dive my own way as long as I pushed the gear sold in the shop (According to him 80% of my job was to sell).

I now teach independently and don't teach OW anymore (except on request but I charge 3 times what a store charges so don't get many OW students). I always wear my "hog rig" without fail. Sure it's harder than teaching through a shop but I can hold to my own principles so it's well worth it to me.

I guess one point is that if you decide not to work for the store then you have no influence over any of the students whereas by compromising your principles somewhat you can have an influence and hopefully help make safer thinking divers.

Good luck with whichever way you decide to go.

If you did it to introduce, teach and mentor new divers into the sport we all love then the gear configuration should not be an issue.

I don't completely understand this, Dave. Are you saying that if Peter wants to help new divers, it shouldn't matter to him what gear he does it in?

Edited after reading Azza's post: Yes, a big part of Peter's reason for doing his DM was to have a beneficial influence on students, by serving as a role model for good trim and solid buoyancy control, and especially for non-silting propulsion, as that's important where we dive.

Peter,
I dive pretty much my BP/W singles rig all the time and it has never been an issue with the shop I help out when needed. Even with OW students, it gives them some exposure to different gear they will see while diving.
And a BP/W is a BCD last time I checked.
Safe Dives
Charlie

I don't completely understand this, Dave. Are you saying that if Peter wants to help new divers, it shouldn't matter to him what gear he does it in?

I was wondering that myself Lynne. I mean, other than "shop politics", I don't see what the issue would be.

I recently was accepted as an active status NAUI Divemaster, and I have a similar agreement with my shop (comparable to what it sounded like you had):
  • In the pool, I wear my old jacket BC.
  • When we're doing snorkeling things, I wear my snorkel on my mask.
  • In Vortex Spring on the first day of our checkouts, I wear my jacket BC (since I'm being rescued half the time -- an irony that I find particularly delicious).
  • Everywhere else, I wear my backplate, wing, pony, and whatever else, as I see fit. (This includes the second and third days of our checkouts when we're out in the Gulf.)
Having read many threads on this subject, I actually took the initiative and openly suggested diving the jacket in the pool and at the spring. I didn't even get in the whole question about diving "my" gear in the Gulf before I was interrupted by the shop owner enthusiastically agreeing and saying that I'm a great example to show some of what *else* is out there.

(Hehe, while a group of us were hanging out talking after all the students had gone home last night, in the course of the conversation he mentioned that several people had come in asking about pony bottles after having seen mine shown off or being used by me on the boat. I hope that doesn't mean I'm blacklisted from Fundies, should I ever get around to it. :D)

It sounds to me as if the instructor in question has a very, very low opinion of the qualifications and mental abilities of his students. As for not worrying about trim, that would make me question the quality of the instructor. I know for a fact that my diving in proper trim is *tremendously* beneficial to me when working with students. I can move in any direction much more directly than if I were upright.

Basically, I guess what I'm saying is that the fact there's one instructor you *wouldn't* want to work with shouldn't be taken to mean that you're not cut out for DM. I know some instructors I wouldn't touch with a ten fathom spool, but the ones I *do* work with find my completely different viewpoints to be useful. I'm a DM because I enjoy helping people, so as long as I'm not having to suffer an instructor such as your example, I'm happy. :biggrin:

As for being an example of buoyancy, trim, and non-silting kicks, I do my best to display those skills. I'm going to talk to some of the instructors to see if we can add trim and non-silting kicks to their AOW and higher classes. (I'll help the instructors pick it up first. :wink:) The need became *readily* apparent when we did a shallow night dive on the last checkout trip. Everyone else came up complaining about the viz and the bottom getting all silted up; I came up talking about how amazing the wreck was and how much there was to see. :D

I found that if you don't ever let anybody pay you, you can do whatever you like.

...they think you are doing them a favor and you have more leeway.

I tell them they "get what they pay for" lol --that's not funny.
Seriously, as a DM, I lead who I want, how I want, when I want and they are usually in a bind when they call me, so everybody is happy.

Look, you are smart, experienced, pleasant, vigilant, responsible--so just tell them they are "not the boss of you"
Offer your services on your terms. Come on Peter, it's not like you don't have a day job.

If that doesn't work, throw Lynn in to "bring up the rear." Where can they get a better deal?

"suggested" that I put the snorkel on my mask so that the students wouldn't be confused. Hmmmm.

I notice people get really radical about snorkels. I'd try and stay a bit flexible on that, as long as it wasn't neon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom