Got my new nitrox card today!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yay new card for the collection! At least I actually had to earn this one. :D

Two questions:
Why does the guy on the card have such poor trim? :lotsalove:

How many places are actually going to honor this thing:confused:

Hmm, just noticed something interesting. The card says GUE fundamentals instead of DIR fundamentals. I guess they are getting away from the term DIR.

Congrats! One question though, did your card have any specific text regarding nitrox? It's not a big deal for me personally because I had already taken a nitrox course. I'm just curious. :)

Congrats! One question though, did your card have any specific text regarding nitrox? It's not a big deal for me personally because I had already taken a nitrox course. I'm just curious. :)

Yea...When does GUE-f certify anyone for anything more than continuing with GUE and pontificating on the internet?

The comments on the back of the card state: Trained in skill refinement and the use of 32% Nitrox.

Apparently I would die if I dive on 36%

The new 4 day curriculum covers nitrox and the use of 32% including a written test, and there should be an endorsement on the card stating that. If you did the course in doubles for the "tech pass" there may be an endorsement for that as well on the card but I'm not sure.

The new 4 day curriculum covers nitrox and the use of 32% including a written test, and there should be an endorsement on the card stating that. If you did the course in doubles for the "tech pass" there may be an endorsement for that as well on the card but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your input. I was just curious. I did my class in March, which I was thinking was the new curriculum, but all my card says is "Trained in basic skill refinement". I also did my class in doubles for the "tech pass". It's not a big deal though. :)

Learn something new everyday.

How many places are actually going to honor this thing:confused:

Any scuba store should honor any nitrox certification.

Most stores these days bank EAN 32 anyway. They used to bank EAN 36 back in the heyday of IANTD. Currently the heyday is PADI, SSI, and GUE. And each of these emphasizes the EAN 32 over the other popular choices of EAN 36, EAN 50, or EAN 25.

Therefore you can be sure a GUE certification is recognized virtually anywhere.

The due diligence requirement of the store owner and management for insurance purposes is to check your certification and have you record it and log your nitrox purchases. You can do that nicely with a GUE card as well as any other, for EAN 32.

"DIR" and "Hogarthian" are somewhat interchangable. Whereas GUE is the agency-organization that trained and certified you. The terms DIR and Hogarthian have been around for awhile. Whereas GUE would have been chosen and put on some sort of legal application to some state business agency to create an organization or association, and therefore GUE is now a name, like NAUI or SSI or PADI etc.

But DIR or Hogarthian would be hard to use as names, since they are fairly ubiquitous.

Some people only associate DIR with GUE, but DIR can be and has been many things. The latest differentiation is now currently between GUE-DIR and AG-DIR, as the evolution continues.

Back of GUE-F Card:
Comments: Trained in skill refinement, doubles, primary light, & 32% Nitrox.
That's for a tech pass. :)

If you did the course in doubles for the "tech pass" there may be an endorsement for that as well on the card but I'm not sure.

Mine reads : "Trained in skill refinement, doubles, primary light, and 32% Nitrox."

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom