Got my Scout today.... ehh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK - was I expecting eye-popping brightness. Not really. Its sole purpose in life is to be reliable, and burn awhile. It ain't supposed to (wait for it...here it comes) the brightest bulb in the drawer.

I just expected more for the price.

OK - so when I'm a zillion feet into a cave, and my billion dollar canister goes south, a couple of these will get me home. Life in a balance, my back up between me getting out alive or becoming a statistic - I'm down.

The knurled grip is essentially worthless (no way that helps with gloves on), the pattern is a spotty, I need two hands to turn it on, and my AA light is much brighter.

I need to re-think my lighting needs. I'm never a zillion feet into a cave, I'm an open water kinda guy. I bought this more to see what all the hoopla is about. I got it. It works. It always works. Its supposed to work. I presume it will work. I'm confident I can bet my life on it working.

I think there's an eBay trip in this light's future.

I want a muthah bright back up in about the same size range (2 or 3 C is fine). Overdriving the bulb - I'm fine with that. I need bright. I don't need lifesaving. I need a light I can turn on one-handed.

I don't know what I need. I'm in light limbo. I need to noodle on this for a bit. My LC is hitting eBay soon and I'm getting a 10w HID...that is known. As for back up, well....

K

When we do night dives and somebody is using one I always have to cover my light to find them. I almost never turn mine on except to make sure they still work...

Can someone explain to my why they are SO expensive? The "overdrive the bulb" thing seems a little hmm, how you say "fishy". Rod stock Delrin can't be that expensive to mill. If you are using UK parts for the bulb and reflector, why aren't they as bright as a UK equivalent?:confused:

O-ring wrote...
I almost never turn mine on except to make sure they still work...
Heh heh... bet you can't say that in four months or so. I foresee big problems with your primary...

:wink:

The prime reason that it isn't bright is because that defeats the purpose. Bright lights generally mean that the bulb is overdriven. Over driving the bulb shortens the life expectancy of it and since the time that a bulb tends to fail is when it is initially turned on, overdriving one increases the odds of that failure.

The scout light is designed to be backup light only. It provides enough light to get you out of the cave, see your gauges, whatever, because when you lose your primary light the dive is over.

That being said, some people dive with two primary lights (in addition to backups) just for that reason. The failure of one doesnt mean the end of the dive.

bwerb once bubbled...
Can someone explain to my why they are SO expensive? The "overdrive the bulb" thing seems a little hmm, how you say "fishy". Rod stock Delrin can't be that expensive to mill. If you are using UK parts for the bulb and reflector, why aren't they as bright as a UK equivalent?:confused:

Having looked at a scout light (no I dont own one) and pricing the cost of delrin for something else, I figure it would cost about $20 to make.

Figure that it costs Halcyon about $20 to make, they double the price and sell it to the retailer for about $40.

The retailer doubles the price and sells it to the consumer for about $80.

It aint pretty, but that's the way most things go in retail...

metridium once bubbled...
Heh heh... bet you can't say that in four months or so. I foresee big problems with your primary...

...you wouldn't be alluding to my cave class, would you? :D

Forgot to mention this too...I have Scout clones (Canadian Extreme)...

Mo2vation once bubbled...

I think there's an eBay trip in this light's future.

K

Try taking it out in your driveway and running over it with your truck. When it doesnt break maybe you'll feel better.

OTOH, if it does, you'll prolly be mighty p'oed...

O-ring wrote...

...you wouldn't be alluding to my cave class, would you? :D
Wouldn't dream of it.

I got no prob with the utilitarian purpose of this thing. Its very vanilla. Very beige. Very Manilow. I got no issues with that. It does its thing and will do it all the time.

End of the world, cockroaches and the Scout light. I got it.

So back to my quest - I want the brightest hiroshima solar flare I can get in a 3-C size.

Is it Pelican, UK, Princeton, what?

K

Back
Top Bottom