Got my Scout today.... ehh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation once bubbled...
I got no prob with the utilitarian purpose of this thing. Its very vanilla. Very beige. Very Manilow. I got no issues with that. It does its thing and will do it all the time.

End of the world, cockroaches and the Scout light. I got it.

So back to my quest - I want the brightest hiroshima solar flare I can get in a 3-C size.

Is it Pelican, UK, Princeton, what?

K
I think that is AA though...I also have a UK SL4, but I haven't noticed that it is that much brighter than my scout-type lights even though it uses 4 C cells.. I can make you a good deal on a slightly used 747 fuselage that has been converted into a halogen canister light if you need more light or need your back realigned..

UK parts will cost you $14.00, Delrin rod, about $20, internal "bits" , a couple of bucks.
About an hours worth of machining (if your DAMNED good), so figure at $40.00.....it dont take long to add up.

As mentioned above, the margins are most likely attractive, but not unusual in the retail game. Dont forget that Halcyon are not moving large volumes of these items. Now, if they dropped the price, maybe they would!!!!!

by the way mvation, ill give ya 50 for it, right now!

Bright, powerful. I want to cause global ocean warming. I want to be the thermocline. I want to boil lobster and fry fish with a single beam. I want people in Hawaii to yell, "turn that damn thing off" when I hit the shore. Hello Mo2vation, this is NASA.

We're talking SPF50 here, people.

Can I be any clearer...? please assist.

PS: AM - like I paid full price....please. Its me - eBay city. But it is a 9 of 10...we may be talking. :)

I'm a manufacturer's agent, I sell products on their behalf to retailers. Still, these lights are wickedly expensive. Most of the people I sell for are happy to make 25 points gross margin on the manufacturing side. It's the retailers who want to keystone (double) their money on everything. If a company has little to no advertising budget then the price to the retailer is significantly reduced...let's look at the "shampoo industry"... total cost to make a bottle and profit is around $2.50, but advertising is MASSIVE, therefore the cost to the retailer is $5.00, they in turn keystone to retail at $9.99.

Halcyon has almost no advertising budget and is still making double...I like their style if the can get the volume...this is the real balance act...what is the best retail price to use to maximize margin dollars based on volume...

Sorry, I flipped into "work mode" for a sec there, please disregard everything I just said. I just realized I'm on Scubaboard and am not e-mailing a client regarding our latest pricing memo.:D

Profit margin is very dependant on the product and the volumes.
I am a manufacturer as well. Most of our products generate 40-60% profit, any less and we wouldnt bother.
Every situation is differant, every market has its own querks.

Jack Welch always aimed for 30% in the same industry i am in.

what do you manufacture?

Inquiring minds want to know.

:tease:

I own 2 scout lights, I have had my canaster fail on a night dive and was very happy to have a back up. Remeber why you bought it, as a strong reliabale back up i assume. Yes they aren't cheep but I have flooded enough princeton tech light in my day that I don't mind paying more for quality. IMHO it is a very good light for what it was designed to be. A back up.

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Bright, powerful. I want to cause global ocean warming. I want to be the thermocline. I want to boil lobster and fry fish with a single beam. I want people in Hawaii to yell, "turn that damn thing off" when I hit the shore. Hello Mo2vation, this is NASA.

We're talking SPF50 here, people.

Can I be any clearer...? please assist.

PS: AM - like I paid full price....please. Its me - eBay city. But it is a 9 of 10...we may be talking. :)

I've got a UK 300, 3 c-cell that is quite bright. Not good enough for primary, but does well for a general light, and is pretty much the same size as the grossly overpriced Scout. I also carry a very small light clipped in my drysuit pocket.

They price the Scout where they do because people think they have to have what George has or they're not kool. Kool Aid :confused: Who said that??

MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom