Got my Scout today.... ehh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halcyon has a nice product line, some of there stuff is really over prices (can you say the Helios cans) - Right now they are using the advertising idea of max profit margin while the name is hot and keep brand loyality high.
Eric

You want something as bright as the sun? Well, your HID canister light will fill that bill, and then some, especially if you go with 18 watts (overkill). I think the Scout is bright enough for doing what it is supposed to do.

For the record, I have one scout, and one Canadian Extreme light. The CE is a tiny bit brighter, but hardly worth mentioning.

One thing to remember while you consider whether you keep the scout or not, is that this light can be really great during night dives where you want to see what's going on without blistering everything on the reef with your HID. You can switch back and forth between your primary and backup and see the dive in a different way.

Just some more food for thought.

Rick

I think reef blistering (LMAO) is high on my list!

Actually, I've been giving this some more thought - I may have not been real clear on this. I don't expect any small 3 cell light to be my primary light. I just want photons and lots of them.

To your point, I probably should have asked this earlier. Do you or anyone else know the relative difference between the brightness of a light cannon and a 10w HID? I know the Halcyon head is tunable (a big plus) and I know there is an increase in burn time (although not much) - I just wonder if there is a significant difference in brightness and use - anyone out there upgrade from a LC to a Canister recently?

K

I've been on a night dive on a boat with another diver who had a Light Cannon - although we were in different buddy pairs, I did see his light underwater, and it was pretty much the same as my 10W canister. Not exactly a scientific test :)

I've borrowed a Light Cannon in the past from a mate, and currently I use a 10W HID focusable Halcyon head with a Stealth Canister, and I think the overall light output is about the same.

The big difference, and you're already aware of this, is the ability to focus the Halcyon head to a tight beam or wide pattern. In tight beam mode, it's both a great signalling tool, as well as Cajun-style blackening if you find the right Red Snapper. I prefer Ceviche myself. :wink:

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Bright, powerful. I want to cause global ocean warming. I want to be the thermocline. I want to boil lobster and fry fish with a single beam. I want people in Hawaii to yell, "turn that damn thing off" when I hit the shore. Hello Mo2vation, this is NASA.

We're talking SPF50 here, people.

Mo, for sheer entertainment value, you certainly rival your namesake. Your imagery has prompted several outburts from me that has my co-workers wondering if I'm surfing the Comedy Network. Thanks for a great laugh as I look out at a foot of fresh snow wondering if I'll be able to commute home tonight...

Any Hid 10W or Light Cannon divers I've seen look like the burning bush or the hand of God in the water so I think you'll acheive your objective and have a religious experience when you get your Hid. I kinda wonder why you want to be the brightest bite of beef in the water; at least up here, I know I'm still on the top of the food chain when I hit the water...

Hyperbole, my friend. If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly.

I've been diving the LC - you've read my issues with a non-integrated light set up. My LC is on eBay - maybe I'm having sellers remorse...who knows. I'll likely pull the trigger on a 10w HID tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the kind words. You know, I may even take big bites out of life while I'm at it....

:)

The difference between and HID canister and the LC are:
1. The different reflectors used - that can help with the beam of light.
2. Focus vs non-adjustible
3. Taking the majority of the weight off the hand and putting in on the waist.

Eric

I bought a new Scout light this past weekend and it turns on by itself when I get down deeper. What's the fix for this? I twisted it off fairly far but it still turns on with depth and when I get back up shallower it turns off. Has anyone else experienced this problem?:confused:

GP once bubbled...
I bought a new Scout light this past weekend and it turns on by itself when I get down deeper. What's the fix for this? I twisted it off fairly far but it still turns on with depth and when I get back up shallower it turns off. Has anyone else experienced this problem?:confused:
It is just a depth/Pressure thing. Just untwist it until it stops, it wont leak.
Scouts have been down to ~300ft without leaking, so it will be OK.

Back
Top Bottom