Got narced hard today!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you MHK for directing us back to the issue at hand...

I have a question for you now...

What gas would you use for a dive to 130 feet. Like, lets say, the U-853 off of Rhode Island. Bottom time will be 30 minutes.

I am not trying to be antagonistic, I just want to know (honestly) what gas you would be breathing. I think I know the answer, but i would like to hear it from the horse's mouth.

I guess what this boils down to is this:

#1-- I kinda overstepped my experience and stated something that I should NOT have said. I honestly admit that.

#2-- My views about breathing AIR over 130 feet may change after I experience some dives with Trimix. I dont have any experience with the effects of Trimix on myself personally, I only have what other people have told me and what I have read to go on.

#3-- I have a personal issue with GUE, and some certain people that have taken GUE classes and then act like a little "scuba Nazi" telling me how I am a "stroke" (hold the laughter, please).
I also, from my experience think that alot of GUE's views are my own as well. Some, however are very tough for me to swallow.
Namely: using 100% O2 for deco; Helium use being excessive in my mind; GUE's strict policies on gear; the desire for GUE folk to tell everyone else that they arent diving safely, and their way is the only way.

Also, MHK, I never said that using AIR was beneficial. I believe that sometimes, for alot of people, its a choice they make. With that choice comes a certain amount of risk. I am not willing to spend $1000 on Helium this dive season. That is my choice, and I accept the risk. I dont think I would dive as deep as I have before on AIR. I have given myself a new limit for AIR.

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
Thank you MHK for directing us back to the issue at hand...

I have a question for you now...

What gas would you use for a dive to 130 feet. Like, lets say, the U-853 off of Rhode Island. Bottom time will be 30 minutes.

I am not trying to be antagonistic, I just want to know (honestly) what gas you would be breathing. I think I know the answer, but i would like to hear it from the horse's mouth.

I guess what this boils down to is this:

#1-- I kinda overstepped my experience and stated something that I should NOT have said. I honestly admit that.

#2-- My views about breathing AIR over 130 feet may change after I experience some dives with Trimix. I dont have any experience with the effects of Trimix on myself personally, I only have what other people have told me and what I have read to go on.

#3-- I have a personal issue with GUE, and some certain people that have taken GUE classes and then act like a little "scuba Nazi" telling me how I am a "stroke" (hold the laughter, please).
I also, from my experience think that alot of GUE's views are my own as well. Some, however are very tough for me to swallow.
Namely: using 100% O2 for deco; Helium use being excessive in my mind; GUE's strict policies on gear; the desire for GUE folk to tell everyone else that they arent diving safely, and their way is the only way.

Also, MHK, I never said that using AIR was beneficial. I believe that sometimes, for alot of people, its a choice they make. With that choice comes a certain amount of risk. I am not willing to spend $1000 on Helium this dive season. That is my choice, and I accept the risk. I dont think I would dive as deep as I have before on AIR. I have given myself a new limit for AIR.

What you will find from me, speaking as an individual, is that if you have an honest question I'll give you a professional answer an try to treat everyone respectfully. Once the flames start, I'll bow out on this list. I enjoy this list because for the most part this list is very free of some of the lingering resentment.

That being said, I would use a 18/35 for the dive you suggest.

Many fixate on the wrong issues, but why we say that we are holistic is for a wide variety of reasons. Some of which are using standardized gases for ease of computing deco on the fly, it also has to do with maximizing the oxygen windows for decompression purposes, it also has to do with team protocols and so on.. I'm not sure why you wouldn't use 100%, bt I'm happy to discuss the issue.

As to your concerns revolving around standarized gear, again the issue is one of a unified team approach and the preparation for emergencies. In a low vis or silt out it's beneficial for a team to be configured in a like manner so if there is no vis you eliminate any uncertainties associated with varying gear. Moreover, the simplistic approach works. I've yet to see anyone propose an alternative configuration that is more optimal, but I'd be happy to discuss it..

As for "GUE folks" saying you aren't diving safely, I don't like to play semantics but what I mean to say is that there are added risks asssociated with some other ideas. Again, I've yet to see someone offer something safer. Normally what I hear is that they know it's an added risk, but the are willing to accept the added risk, so in that regard they are in fact less safe or less efficient.

I'm happy to exchange views but what I will not do on this list is engage in flame wars.

If I can help I'm happy to do it, but if not I wish you luck..

Later

Back
Top Bottom