Got OW Certification but have blocked tubes now!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mg5103

New
Reaction score
Just got back from Bonaire, having done 9 dives in 5 days, obtaining my OW certification! My problem is that since the first dives and now for a week and a half, I have blocked eustation tubes. Taking Sudafed (the last two days) and my ears are still blocked. Any suggestions?

Go to your doctor. . .

It's not possible to diagnose or prescribe over the internet.

In addition, I have questions about the description, "blocked Eustachian tubes". Does this mean you cannot equalize, or that you have feeling of fullness and decreased hearing? If the latter, you probably suffered some barotrauma from not equalizing completely and early enough. This results in fluid accumulation in the middle ear, which takes some time to resolve. Decongestants can help that process, but it's still not going to resolve immediately.

If it's been a number of days without any improvement, or if you have severe hearing loss, or any pain, you should get in to see an ENT doc as soon as you can. Bad barotrauma, involving the inner ear, can result in permanent hearing loss, but can also respond to appropriate treatment if it is begun in a timely fashion.

BTW, you don't have to have been aware of any equalizing problems to have barotrauma. I have a friend who's a good, regular diver, who complained to me that he was having some problems with bubbling and crackling noises and a feeling of fullness for several days after diving. I suggested it was inadequate equalizing, and he told me he was sure he was clearing his ears early and often. I got a note from him a couple of days ago saying that his last couple of dives, where he REALLY focused on ear clearing, have not resulted in any symptoms. So it doesn't have to HURT to do damage!

Consult doctor...No worry!
Congratulation on your OW certification!
Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

Before you contact a doctor, contact DAN. They can recommend a doctor who is familiar with diving and its unique medical issues.

dk2943:
Before you contact a doctor, contact DAN. They can recommend a doctor who is familiar with diving and its unique medical issues.
I have called DAN many times for many reasons, and they are an excellent resource. And TSandM posting above is a wonderful one herself - a highly qualified professional who posts here daily to be benefit of all. I think it's too late for Sudafed, tho. Between now and Monday morning, I'd suggest reading everything in the first two pages of the Medical forum on this, as we already have two active threads there now with lots of info. Got to take care of those ears, or you could be in a docs office, even an ER crying. Been there...!!

smilies-41093.png

It does help with discussions if you complete your Profile. And it's even more fun when you load an Avatar (personal pic for each post) and a Profile pic. See UserCP to access these if you'd like to...? :wink:

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: and be careful about posting Threads & Replies without reading the Stickies at the tops of most forums. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Agree with everyone's comments above!! Welcome to ScubaBoard and congrats on the certification. Now, go take care of yourself!!

Bless your heart!!! :( I can relate - was certified last Sept.
It took 6 months before my ears almost completely cleared. Went to Medical Dr. - he prescribed Prednisone for three seperate rounds as well as decong. .....for NO cure!!!

Then proceeded to an ENT Dr. he said he couldn't see any damage, maybe a little swollen in the middle ear but nothing that should cause me any bothersome issues. :confused: Prescribed a nasal decongestant and stated I may have TMJ- should return for additional testing! Dr's. GEEEZZEEEE!!!! $$$$$

My feeling was NO pain- just muffed hearing, feeling of fullness, could hear my heart beat when I layed down at night ---just plain aggravation.!!!! 24/7! :eyebrow:

So LUCKY ME ----I went diving this past weekend! Hit the water and it was like pouring water in my head - I felt/heard every drop when I first went under - crackling....squeeking...squeggy.... you name it.
I consciously/continueosly equalized. Came up with a small blood drop from nose - did this the first time diving as well.

So now . . . I am battling the same CRAP again, but not quite as bad. I hate to know I will endure this torture for having such an awesome time everytime I dive.

Wondering which sudafed you took??
There are so many differnt ones - please let me know!!! :huh:

After reading this blog - I think I will contact Dan - and ask if tehre is a certified Dr. in m y area that is familiar with diving issues regarding the ears.

Any suggestions - please email me. Thanks - happy diving to all.

The popular suggestion among divers of taking Sudafed is becoming confusing, since pseudoephedrine - which gave rise to the brand name - is now controlled to an extent in many states & counties - as it is too often purchased to produce unlawful, recreational drugs. Sudafed company also produces other products under that brand name that do not contain pseudoephedrine.

My most recent attempts with Wal-mart found the combination I like - pseudoephedrine with triprolidine antihistamine - only in Actifed boxes, for twice the cost I was paying for their house brand. My home own drug store found it for me, tho -very economically. First they were getting it for me in Genac boxes - 24 for $2, nice. Now they're getting it for me in APRODINE 100 count bottles, quite economically. All this shopping info is offered in case you and your ENT agree on you taking the OTC meds, as they do have side effects to some. I take them year round, no problems with driving, sleep, heart rate, etc.

For trips, especially international trips - I carry the 24 count boxes, one per week of planned trip. Don't want any problems with Mexican customs for example, and I have read of that happening.

DandyDon:
For trips, especially international trips - I carry the 24 count boxes, one per week of planned trip. Don't want any problems with Mexican customs for example, and I have read of that happening.
I like the 24-hour sustained release caplets. One a day in the morning and I don't have to worry about reverse blockage from it wearing off in a few hours. My ENT, and I've heard others too, recommended a nasal spray decongestant along with the Sudafed, so I'll follow up my pill with a few shots of Afrin in each nostril before breakfast. By the time I've eaten and had a couple cups of coffee, I'm not only clear as a bell, but awfully wired as well. The corollary is that even after a day's worth of nitrogen saturation, I still need a couple Dramamine and lots of booze to bring me down so I can sleep.

Better diving through chemicals!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom