Gotta bite the bullet...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowdog77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
....Old rig gave up the ghost so I'm back in the market for a setup.

Are there any videocams out there yet that will allow capture of
decent resolution stills? I tend to shoot more video than stills
while diving and then pull stills out with Adobe Premiere Elements
when editing.

When you say decent resolution, what are you looking to do with the stills? Most of today's consumer level cams do take decent snap shots. Cameras such as the Canon HF S20/21 take 8MP stills and the still photo button is accessible in some of the housings. Do you have a budget you would like to work with? Do you need lights? Shoot primarily WA or Macro?

I'd like to use the stills in the video project (would not be printing them.)

I rely on APE to make color adjustments and Photoshop to add brightness etc so would probably continue to shoot existing light. (we travel really light, generally don't check anything.)

Also, do more wide angle than macro, and "I ain't rich". :blinking:

thanks ~

The Sanyo Xacti I bought from the classifieds here has a 5.1MP still camera built in, and the shutter button can be used while it's in the Epok housing. The manual says it will take still pictures while you're filming too, although I have not yet tried this.

I'm not rich either (poor nurse, not rich Dr...). I got the camera, housing, wide angle lens, 3 batteries, 2 SD cards, cases, chargers and misc widgets for $750 in the classifieds here on SB. I spent $65 on a red filter from Leisurepro since I am also currently shooting available light. I have not had it in the water yet (next dive trip is Nov...) but I've used it down at the dojang and it takes excellent videos. Keep an eye on the classifieds here. I've found several excellent deals there.

Back
Top Bottom