Gouges in new worthington tanks (x8-119)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cephasiii

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I purchased a couple of new X8-119 Worthington tanks. As you can see, there are a couple of gouges on the top of the tank near the neck. Are these normal? One of them looks pretty deep.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_2478.jpg
    IMG_2478.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2479.jpg
    IMG_2479.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 125
Nothing to worry about.

The one on the left looks pretty deep from the picture, but pictures can be misleading. Do you have any gauges where you can tell us how deep they are?

The one on the left looks pretty deep from the picture, but pictures can be misleading. Do you have any gauges where you can tell us how deep they are?

I agree with the above. It is on the shoulder which is thicker but for a new cylinder I would reject it outright.

I don't have the depths, but I can get them tomorrow. I left the tanks at the LDS. The LDS called XScuba and they told him the marks are nothing to worry about and they are for identification or QC. Something like that.

I call BS. I am an XScuba dealer, none of my tanks have those marks. Is the chip just into the galvanize, or is it into the steel?

It looks like just the galvanized, but not sure. I'm going to have the dive shop return them tomorrow and get a couple of new ones sent to me. I have never seen anything like this before. Since both of them have it i am wondering if its a bad batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If XS Scuba said the marks are for quality control, then they should have been pulled for quality control not left on the line to be shipped to an end user. You are doing the right thing by taking them back.

Even if XS scuba is right and they are OK, are you sure hydro and VIS "techs" down the line are not going to fail them based on gouges?

Peter,

The cosmetic elements you have on your cylinders are part of the manufacturing process during the production of steel cylinders. They refer to the operator ID and the lot number for the batch. These markings are on every cylinder, though often they are subtle and not easily noticed. Some cylinders have the markings deeper and they become hard to recognize due to the galvanization process. All cylinders are visually inspected by a third party at the factory before they are sent to us. These cylinders are safe for use per confirmation from Worthington.

We will forward your concerns to Worthington as feedback. It would be better if the markings were more subtle on all the cylinders.

Feel free to contact us with a PM or phone call at 866.977.2822 if you wish to discuss further.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom