GPS tracking at the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have some software (expensive professional mapping program I'm afraid) that will automatically link the GPS track points to the photographs
You don't need expensive software to do this. I'm using Geosetter, a freeware program for exactly this purpose. It runs under Windows, but there's similar freeware available for Linux or MacOS.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I have used GPS for surface swims during shore dives. I swim on the surface. I have made swims well over a mile to a site using my GPS to guide me. Once there I attach the GPS, which is waterproof to my surface flag/float and then proceed with my dive.

No, there are none and never will be any GPS underwater units unless you are willing to drag an antenna cable.

N

I have used GPS for surface swims during shore dives. I swim on the surface. I have made swims well over a mile to a site using my GPS to guide me. Once there I attach the GPS, which is waterproof to my surface flag/float and then proceed with my dive.

No, there are none and never will be any GPS underwater units unless you are willing to drag an antenna cable.

N
Out of curiosity, what GPS unit do you use that is waterproof/operable from the water?

Out of curiosity, what GPS unit do you use that is waterproof/operable from the water?

This one right here.

P8060040_edited-1.jpg

I paid $199 for it so long ago I do not recall exactly. It is waterproof more than sufficient to get splashed and even dunked. I do not, if you read what I said, carry it underwater. I swim on my back, on the surface, the GPS resting on my tummy. I check it once in a while while doing my main straight line navigation by sighting to shore. And, as I said, I leave it attached to my surface float with a lanyard. My surface float is an inner tube with a flag and a pouch for holding items, like my GPS.

If it gets stolen, lost, or floods out, it is not like I have not gotten my use from it and I will just buy a new one. One of these days y'all might figure it out that I do not make up sxxx as is common on these interweb boards.

One of the several places I have done long shore dives using the GPS pictured above is here. Note the coordinates and the Anglin Pier reef. That is where I went.

CommercialPier2.jpg

And by the way, an IPhone in a Lifeproof case is more than accurate enough. And if and when the Magellon goes TU that is probably what I will start doing.

N

what GPS unit do you use that is waterproof/operable from the water?
IME, most "track" type GPSrs from recognized producers like Garmin or Magellan are IP67 certified. That means that they're able to survive being submerged to a depth of 1m for at least half an hour and should have no problem being used on the surface.

IP Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nemrod,

I used to have that same unit. I hadn't used it in a few years so I broke it out when I started diving. It did not survive at the bottom of a 10' pool. There are O-Rings in the battery compartment and one sandwiched between the front and back of the casing. Mine were toast, and that was that.

I've been carry a water resistant GPS in an old 35MM camera housing when solo diving at night. My plan is similar to what Nemrod posted, swim on my back with the GPS on my torso until I reach my way point, the egress point. Haven't needed to do that yet, so far my compass has been enough as is was before GPS invented but, I like to have any advantage I can have when diving especially solo. I also keep my cell phone in the same housing don't know how long it would last but I only need to make 1 call....to the USCG....HELP! :wink: Years ago I got lost night diving and ended up coming ashore in a marina. I was tired low on air and knew the marina wasn't far from the egress point so I decided to walk there.

Got on the road that led to the LOCKED gate! Sure would have been nice to have a cell phone then! Took my gear off passed it under the fence and climbed over the 10 foot tall barbed wired fence. When I got back to the egress my 2 buddies were just about ready to make a rescue call!

Nemrod,

I used to have that same unit. I hadn't used it in a few years so I broke it out when I started diving. It did not survive at the bottom of a 10' pool. There are O-Rings in the battery compartment and one sandwiched between the front and back of the casing. Mine were toast, and that was that.

Well, you should not have taken it to the bottom of a ten foot pool. Read what I said, I do not take it underwater. Sounds like you need a new one. I suppose the O-rings could go bad and I doubt seriously new ones are available. Mine is still in good shape. And, if it goes TU, there is this -------->.

Yesterday, I had gone to the Y to get my mile swim in and it was weights day, so anyways, the top was off on the Jeep so I took my phone into the locker room. A really nice, beautiful Y, never had a problem. Well, I left my wallet in the Jeep lock box but took the phone in. Hmmm, well, six lockers were broken into and my phone and all of their phones gone, very strange deal. So, yesterday evening, I went and got a new Iphone and a new Lifeproof case. The case says waterproof to two meters.

Oh, Kelemvor, I would not take it to the bottom of a ten foot pool, just saying.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom