Grand Cayman: DiveTech Opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubachica

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Have booked with DiveTech for 4 days in September (am staying at Cobalt Coast) and have read a lot of mixed reviews on the boards here and on Rodale's, with a very negative report recently posted on Rodale's. Not sure whether I should put all of my eggs in one basket and dive with them all four days now. Am thinking abt splitting my days with them and another dive op like Red Baron, Off the Wall, etc. But, would prefer to dive with one op.

Anyone dive with them recently and have any opinions to share?

Thx.

scubachica:
Anyone dive with them recently and have any opinions to share?
Thx.

Yes I've just come back from 10 days in G.C. and did 5 2 tank dives with DiveTech. I found them to be very professional but with a good sense of fun. The boats were well equipped and seemed to attract experienced divers. The Divemasters did their best to accommodate requests from divers (even driving the boat from North Sound to West Bay at the request of three divers who wanted to dive the West Wall.

The boats were not crowded between 6 and 12 divers each day.

Not sure what bad stories you have read but I chose them (Admittedly about 6 months) ago precisely because this board gave them such rave reviews.

I wouldn’t hesitate to go with them again if I go back.

Hope this helps.

IanH

I love Divetech. I think they are one of the top operators in GC. The house reefs at Cobalt Coast are decent. Definately rent a scooter to shore dive the big wall. I haven't heard of any negative reports about Divetech.

Duane

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful. Think I'll stay put. Regarding the negative feedback, just search the boards for DiveTech and you should see some. On Rodale's, there's a dive trip report with "Cobalt Coast" in the caption.

You might want to try the East End with Ocean Frontiers. I just got back from GC a week ago and Ocean Frontiers has an excellent operation if you want to change it up and dive on the East End. From what I hear the reefs are in a little better shape than the West?

I like DiveTech, they're my first choice on GC. I've used them on 2 trips one recent, so I was curious and looked up that report. Everyplace has glitches and I've had the occasional one there, like anywhere, there's probably a few things that could run more slickly. But they're a great bunch, I've never run into anyone arrogant or rude, and they always seem happy to help with anything when needed. Reading that report this might be partly a matter of expectations. It's true DiveTech does not do what you would call "valet diving" nor do they claim to - you handle your own gear and dive your dives. This is not a bad thing, just different from a dive op that coddles you.

Just to contrast, Ocean Frontiers on the East End gets great reviews for their service and someone who dislikes the "do it yourself" spirit of Divetech and wants their gear handled would love it. The place runs like clockwork, and they will practically fight to haul your gear for you, swap tanks, analyze your tanks, and spray defog in your mask given a chance. They'll do everything but breath and pee in your wetsuit for you. I found it often irritating. They also do shortish profiles, guide dives and divers that don't need to be guided, and are too regimented for my taste.

2 excellent dive ops but very different, a matter of preference.

I agree with the positive DiveTech comments, PLUS I have stayed at Cobalt Coast Resort before. Ari and his staff are very well known for making the extra effort to satisfy all of your requests and expectations. If DiveTech gets an 'A' as a dive op, then Cobalt Coast Resort gets an A++. Depending on your room location, you probably won't have to walk more than 50-75 feet to get to the DiveTech shop. Have a great time!

One more point: The North Wall is supposed to be much more interesting diving ( formations and pelagics) than the usual West sites. We were in GC in February, and unfortunately got 'blown out' every day-- we had to go South. You should be fine in September.

Damselfish:
Just to contrast, Ocean Frontiers on the East End gets great reviews for their service and someone who dislikes the "do it yourself" spirit of Divetech and wants their gear handled would love it. The place runs like clockwork, and they will practically fight to haul your gear for you, swap tanks, analyze your tanks, and spray defog in your mask given a chance. They'll do everything but breath and pee in your wetsuit for you. I found it often irritating. They also do shortish profiles, guide dives and divers that don't need to be guided, and are too regimented for my taste.

2 excellent dive ops but very different, a matter of preference.

I definitely see your point there, although I think you are taking it to the extreme with your opinion. I never once felt like they were fighting to take my gear, they simply offered the service since I was diving multiple days with them, which included rinsing gear with fresh water. This service to me was invaluable given I had a small rental car and was staying 45 minutes away on 7MB. It was nice not to have to lug all that wet gear in the car each way! Had I stayed on East End I would probably have taken my gear with me. I don't think they ever sprayed my mask with defog either...come on?? They provide a trash can with fresh water and a defog spray bottle next to it! They simply make your diving enjoyable by doing a lot of the work that is a pain for some people. I can change my tank no problem, but it was nice to grab a towel and a snack and not worry about it all while I was on my SI.

Now, as for as guided diving, I completely agree, there 1st dive is always guided and their second dive is unguided but you have the option to have a DM take you on a guided tour for half of the dive. I saw a lot of things I may not have seen without a dive master, so I am really ok with going on guided tours.

After one of our dives I can see why they guide the deeper dives. We had a couple on our boat that ended up at 135ft after coming out of canyon that ended at 100ft on the wall and dropped off to 6000ft., the problem was they were diving Nitrox and way below the max depth for their mixture. If it were not for the DM frantically trying to get there attention as they descended into la la land, I believe I would have witnessed a dive accident right before my eyes. I guess it can go either way.

In any case, I was very happy with their outfit.

nbdiver:
You might want to try the East End with Ocean Frontiers. I just got back from GC a week ago and Ocean Frontiers has an excellent operation if you want to change it up and dive on the East End. From what I hear the reefs are in a little better shape than the West?

I didn't put this in my original email, but I am also planning to dive two days on the East End w/ Ocean Frontiers to round out my first Cayman dive trip. I was torn btwn the North and East when planning my trip and ended up deciding on Cobalt Coast as it seemed to have the best of both worlds for a Cayman first-timer. We're going to be there 8 days so I figured we'd have the time to trek over to the East for afternoon dives.

Back
Top Bottom