Grand Cayman East Side - Recomendations and Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

South Florida Steve

Registered
Reaction score
Been reading Scuba Board for some time now, but am a newbie poster!

I am traveling with a large group of non-divers the the Eastern side of Grand Cayman in the later part of November 2017 and was hoping for any advice that y'all might be able to offer. Accommodations are taken care of, but am thinking about sneaking off for a day or two to do some diving. Any guidance as to what to expect as far as weather/dive conditions, crowds, dive operators, etc. would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

On the east side Ocean Frontiers will pick you up and drop you off. They have a very nice dive operation and there is no crowd. It is windier on the east side which will create higher waves. Usually the east end dive operators will go either to the south or north side of the island, depending which direction the wind is coming from. Dive conditions under the surface are quite good with plenty of swim throughs (if you like them) and fairly healthy reefs.

Agree with shurite7. OF runs a very good op. They typically run a morning dive and an afternoon dive (no afternoon dive on Saturday). Just make sure you reserve your spot for the dive. They do fill up their boats. Check the weather forecast (wind and swell) and pick the best days.
Dive Boat Trips

I would recommend OF as well. Reservations in advance a very good idea.

There are two dive operators of long standing in East End. Red Sail Sports is located at Morritts Tortuga Club (which is next door to the Reef Resort). Ocean Frontiers is a couple miles away towards the south shore of East End. and their shop is on site where they have build the Compass Point Condos. Regardless of which diver operator you choose your group will NEED rental car(s) to get around.

Aside from restaurants at the resorts there are relatively few restaurants scattered about the eastern districts. Many accommodations come with a kitchen and you may wish to stock up at the grocery and prepare some meals (breakfast!) where you stay. There is a small Fosters Food Fair grocery in a plaza across from the Royal Reef but you will do better to do a big grocery run at the larger Fosters in Savannah at the Countryside Village shopping center.

If late November includes Thanksgiving then you will have options. The resort restaurants all over the island will put on a typical Thanksgiving menu at rather substantial prices. You can plan ahead and make your own or go to the west side and pick up carryout.

There are two dive operators of long standing in East End. Red Sail Sports is located at Morritts Tortuga Club (which is next door to the Reef Resort). Ocean Frontiers is a couple miles away towards the south shore of East End. and their shop is on site where they have build the Compass Point Condos. Regardless of which diver operator you choose your group will NEED rental car(s) to get around.

Aside from restaurants at the resorts there are relatively few restaurants scattered about the eastern districts. Many accommodations come with a kitchen and you may wish to stock up at the grocery and prepare some meals (breakfast!) where you stay. There is a small Fosters Food Fair grocery in a plaza across from the Royal Reef but you will do better to do a big grocery run at the larger Fosters in Savannah at the Countryside Village shopping center.

If late November includes Thanksgiving then you will have options. The resort restaurants all over the island will put on a typical Thanksgiving menu at rather substantial prices. You can plan ahead and make your own or go to the west side and pick up carryout.

Thanks a bundle for the intel! I have seen a number of posts about OF, but little seems to be said about Red Sail Sports - any experience/opinions about them?

Been reading Scuba Board for some time now, but am a newbie poster!

I am traveling with a large group of non-divers the the Eastern side of Grand Cayman in the later part of November 2017 and was hoping for any advice that y'all might be able to offer. Accommodations are taken care of, but am thinking about sneaking off for a day or two to do some diving. Any guidance as to what to expect as far as weather/dive conditions, crowds, dive operators, etc. would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
East End = Ocean Frontiers. Accept no substitutes... :)

I believe there are 3 operators on the East End, Ocean Frontiers, Tortuga Divers/Red Sail Sports, and White Sand Watersports. I have never dived with the latter two. Ocean Frontiers is probably the best land based operator I have dived with, I have 40 dives with them from two visits. In November, the diving may have shifted from the North side to the South side due to conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom