Grand Cayman for a day. Best Dive Shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pucenavel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
on a cruise in March. On port of call in Grand Cayman. Looking for recommendations for dive shop.
Thanks.

on a cruise in March. On port of call in Grand Cayman. Looking for recommendations for dive shop.
Thanks.
The best dive shop and Diving is Ocean Frontiers on East End (imho) - but that won't work for a cruise ship passenger. We always have great dives with Don Foster's as well, but never dive with them when cruise ships are in port as it gets too crazy (too many "bad" once a year divers - no offense intended) . You"ll want something close to port. I believe many here have recommend Lobster Pot and you can walk there from the port as it is right in Georgetown.

Off a cruise ship it's easiest to choose a shop near the port since they structure the best dives for the time you arrive/have in port.

I agree about Foster's, they have most of the cruise contracts so a lot of their business comes thru that - wouldn't be for me personally since many of the other operations cap divers at 8-10 per trip.
Also if your ship is one they're contracted with, they can't book you independent of the cruise excursion,

I'd look to Lobster Pot Dive Cebter instead also, just north of the cruise port - you can walk there with gear. On site is Wall to Wall Diving or Deep Blue Divers, either is a reliably good smaller dive count operation that will take you out to the wall to dive. Off the Wall located there also gets good reviews here. Divers Down is also offers the Kittiwake as a 2nd cruise dive - actually a shorter walk north on Church St. than Lobster Pot.

There's a really average shore dive off Lobster Pot (Cheeseburger Reef) that they'll provide a tank for after boat diving if you have time. Or Eden Rock which is 500' from the cruise port and shows the wear from it. Last year a container ship scraped the reef and collapsed one of the swim-thru's there.

Last edited:
I used InDepth Water Sports when I visited GCM, but I wasn't on a cruise. Nate is great about responding to emails, so check and see if they will pick you up. I don't think he usually caters to the cruise crowd, so you may have to sweet talk him a little bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom