Grand Cayman Questions???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oside Jimc

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about next year already, and Grand Cayman seems like it's worth a visit. I was thinking about this time next year, pretty much out of the hurricane season, but before the winter rush, but I'm quite flexible since I have a LOT of time to plan. Is this a good time to go? What is the best time of year there? Any other pointers you want to give a GC noob?

Late October is a great time to dive here at Grand Cayman. My wife and I come here every year at this time...the weather is usually very good and the diving is always great. Try the Northwall...what a dive!!!!!!

We love Grand Cayman for diving. The great thing is there are great dives on all sides of the island, so you can pretty much always dive. There are also some great shore dives.

We were there 2 weeks ago and it was fantastic weather/diving. The island was also fairly quiet compared to other times we have been there. Several times we were almost the only table in the restaurant. So if you want to be there when it is not too busy, October is a great month.

Oside I own on Grand Cayman and get down there year round if you would like any info just PM me.This time is a good time to go not as crowded and the weather can be calm,I was last down end of September and the weather cooperated then,pretty much had the dive boats and resturants to ourselves.

We were in GC Oct 18-25th. I gotta admit that the weather was a bit rough for a couple of days. For a good three days the rain and winds kept us from diving any of the North side. We were staying on the NW part of the island and diving with Divetech. On the rough days we loaded up on the van and dove on the West side where it was much calmer. We actually saw a lot of fish and reef life on the Westside, even when the weather was rough and the vis reduced. Would I go again in Oct? Absolutely. Even when the weather was rough we still got to dive unlike Cozumel where the harbor master closes port whenever a storm moves through(I'm sure with good reason).

If you decide to go and want a good dive op I really enjoyed diving with Off The Wall Divers a few years back. Caribbean: Cayman Islands: Grand Cayman: Diving

Definitely not a cattle boat operation.

Thanks everybody, I have a chance to get a free week at Morrits Tortuga club since I have a friend that gave me a week through RCI. Is that place any good for divers? If so will my non-diving spouse be bored out of her skull? (She is very happy with a nice swimming beach and a cool drink)

It's a fine place for divers and has a nice beach and the drinks, pools, and I think some time share scheduled activities. You can dive with the op on site or with Ocean Frontiers down the road, which gets better reviews and will pick you up.

Just got back last night from an 8 day stay at Compass Point and diving with Ocean Frontiers. I would highly recommend them for a dive op. They take care of your gear, have a highly knowledgeable and personable staff and go out of their way to make you feel at home. Their boats are larger than I prefer, but in 6 days of diving, the most we had on a boat was 12-14 people split between 2 groups. They have to have larger boats because of potential high seas/winds. We dove Tues-Thurs in rough seas with 30 mph winds and I was glad of the big V-hull boats those days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom