Grand Cayman shop and rules?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterDance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My boss is planning on going to Grand Cayman mid January and he is staying at the Ritz at Grand Cayman. He is PADI certified, but hasn't dove for three years. Where do you recommend he dive? Is he going to need anything besides his C -card? Will they make him do a check out dive?

Thanks for the info!

Susan

My boss is planning on going to Grand Cayman mid January and he is staying at the Ritz at Grand Cayman. He is PADI certified, but hasn't dove for three years. Where do you recommend he dive? Is he going to need anything besides his C -card? Will they make him do a check out dive?

Thanks for the info!

Susan
Cayman operator may ask for a log book.
How many dives has he done since being certified? If none since certification,if it was 2 years ago, I do not hesitate to say definitely a refresher is called for.If he was certified 5 years ago and has done 150-200 dives in different conditions then perhaps a jump in the LDS pool to is in order just to ensure everything works ok . Likely no need for a pro to do a formal refresher if that is the case..
Way I understand it now very often with Cayman operators is if the person has not dove in 2 years or more a refresher course is in order. Can be done on Cayman or done locally at home .When done at home have instructor sign off in log book..when its been 10 years or more with no diving a entire open water course is desired. I do refreshers here locally in NY almost every week. PM me and I'll give you a number to call if you need access to a pool, facility I teach out of has its own indoor heated pool onsite and may be able to arrange it.I am not the owner or manager,but it most likely can be arranged at a fee of course.
As to what the Cayman operators want, I am not saying that is right or wrong on the operators part, but it is what it is..Their business, their rules.

Contact the operator you intend to use and ask what they require.chances are they will want you to do your first dive with one of their dive masters and after that you will be good to go.No reason to do anything else till you contact them.

Red Sail Sports, which operates out of the Ritz, certainly holds to a policy of a refresher with a shallow (60ft) dive for anyone who has been out of the water more than 2 years. That indeed seems to be a common refrain from dive ops around Cayman.

Some ops may require a shallow dive before taking you on a wall dive if you have been out of the water for some period of time less than 2 years... could be a short as six months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom