Grand Cayman to Little Cayman layover, how much time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just got back from LCBR Sunday the 3rd. On the way home the leased Otter went from GC to CB, then we were told that it broke down there and there was no mechanic. Soon after that announcement we were told it was on the way. Earlier in the week people were ferried to CB by the dive boats.
Now for an unbelievable story. Earlier in the week I lost my Wedding Band diving at Bloody Bay. Somehow it slipped off my finger during a dive. I was really bummed out to say the least, it was custom made. Well on my last day of diving, as all the divers came aboard after the 1st dive, I hear a diver at the back of the boat say he just found a ring (we were diving the same site again that I lost the ring). I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!!! I don't remember his name but THANK YOU AGAIN.
A very grateful, Bo

P.S. The diving was fantastic an so way the resort, especially Neil and Sharon.

We just got back from LCBR on Saturday, May 9th. The twin otters are up and running again. On the way to LC, it took us about 30 to 45 minutes max to claim our bags at GC and then get checked into Cayman Air for the flight to LC. It was really easy. The twin otters the two times we flew them were within 15 to 20 minutes of their schedule so not to bad.

Be sure to pack an extra change of clothes in your carry-on that you actually carry on! When we arrived on the Saturday flight, only 1 out of 4 bags made it to LC that day. But they were all there the next morning. They actually held the dive boat for about an hour that morning until our stuff arrived on the first flight in Sunday morning. So all in all it worked out but you are a little on edge until you actually have your stuff in hand. But out of the entire party of 22 people, only 5 of us didn't get all our bags the first day so I guess that isn't too bad. Also, they will ask you to pack and send one bag out the day before you leave. We did and everything was at the GC airport waiting for us when we arrived the next day.

We just got back from LCBR on Saturday, May 9th. The twin otters are up and running again. On the way to LC, it took us about 30 to 45 minutes max to claim our bags at GC and then get checked into Cayman Air for the flight to LC. It was really easy. The twin otters the two times we flew them were within 15 to 20 minutes of their schedule so not to bad.

Be sure to pack an extra change of clothes in your carry-on that you actually carry on! When we arrived on the Saturday flight, only 1 out of 4 bags made it to LC that day. But they were all there the next morning. They actually held the dive boat for about an hour that morning until our stuff arrived on the first flight in Sunday morning. So all in all it worked out but you are a little on edge until you actually have your stuff in hand. But out of the entire party of 22 people, only 5 of us didn't get all our bags the first day so I guess that isn't too bad. Also, they will ask you to pack and send one bag out the day before you leave. We did and everything was at the GC airport waiting for us when we arrived the next day.

I, too, found that the LCBR folks and airline work very well together to get everyone and everything through the tiny pipeline provided by those Twin Otters in a timely manner. They were all very accommodating, even though it seems that many passengers ignore the weight and baggage limits.

I, too, found that the LCBR folks and airline work very well together to get everyone and everything through the tiny pipeline provided by those Twin Otters in a timely manner. They were all very accommodating, even though it seems that many passengers ignore the weight and baggage limits.

They really do work it all out.

The thing I forget sometimes is that a "carry-on" on a big jet may end up being a piece of "checked luggage" on the otter. So you really just get a personal item to carry on board the otter. The other stuff may or may not fit in the luggage compartments. We had two pieces of the larger checked luggage and two carry-ons and just one checked bag made it the first day.

Another great option I thought about is that if you are traveling with your spouse, pack each piece of luggage with clothes for both people so if only one makes it at first, you both have fresh clothes to wear until the rest gets there.

That is the much upgraded facility. You should have seen what it looked like in 1993.

Here's a photo of "Edward Bodden Airfield" in Little Cayman in 1994. This is as close as I can get to the year 93.

Enjoy!! :wink:

spaceball.gif

click here: Airport in Little Cayman on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

BracGypsy.... :)

Thanks for the link to the picutres. The airport on Little Cayman really hasn't changed all that much!

Thanks for the photo BracGypsy. You might want to check the date, however. As I recall, Cayman Airways did not begin flying into Little Cayman until about the year 2000, or perhaps later. They could not provide service until they purchased their Twin Otters, and I believe it was at about that time. When they started the route, they began with a $99US RT fare from Grand to Little, while Island Air was charging about $170 US. It was not long until Island Air discontinued the route. In 1994 Island Air provided service.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo BracGypsy. You might want to check the date, however. As I recall, Cayman Airways did not begin flying into Little Cayman until about the year 2000, or perhaps later. They could not provide service until they purchased their Twin Otters, and I believe it was at about that time. When they started the route, they began with a $99US RT fare from Grand to Little, while Island Air was charging about $170 US. It was not long until Island Air discontinued the route. In 1994 Island Air provided service.

Well I did check on that one. I have been living on the Brac since 2001. I ask my Hubby and he said Cayman Airways have been flying to Little Cayman airport since 1962. That's forever for me.... Ok, then I ask a few other older people here on the Brac, they said the early 60's too. SO then I looked it up online, the old guys and hubby was right.

In 1962 the people who built the Southern Cross Club on Little Cayman financed the construction of a small grass airfield on the island. It was built on private land with private funds, and it was named Edward Bodden Airport, after a Little Cayman foreman of works. In February 1968, the Cayman Islands government and LACSA reorganised Cayman Brac Airways into Cayman Airways, with the government holding 51% of the shares and LACSA holding 49%. Being technically British-owned, Cayman Airways could apply for international routes. It was awarded the Cayman-Kingston route in December 1968. In January 1970 Cayman Airways applied for the Cayman-Miami-Cayman route.This finally came to fruition in April 1972, when the airline landed a leased LACSA BAC 1-11 in Miami-its first flight to the United States. By that year, Cayman had a staff of 30 people.

Cayman Brac was served by several companies in the 1970s that brought passengers from both the U.S. and Grand Cayman. Regular, reliable air service to the Brac was strongly promoted by the owners of the original Brac Reef Hotel, who realised that without it, the hotel rooms would not fill up. A group of about sixteen investors put up the money to start a charter service called Trans-Island Airways, using a leased DC-3, flying between Tampa/St. Petersburg and the Sister Islands. The group later obtained a permit from the Civil Aeronautics Board in Washington, D.C., that enabled them to purchase a plane for commercial use. The company operated as Red Carpet Airlines for about ten years.

In 1976, the government decided that it was time for the Cayman Islands to have its own national airline. The idea was strongly supported by "Mr. Jim" Bodden, who was then the Member Responsible for Tourism, Aviation, and Trade, and who was posthumously made Cayman's first (and up to now, only) National Hero.

In 1977 Cayman Airways became wholly owned by the Cayman Islands, and LACSA's final flight into Grand Cayman was on 30 November 1978. LACSA kept providing support in the form of mechanics and pilots until 1982. As aviation expanded, the tourism industry flourished. In 1980, Cayman Airways bought a Britten-Norman Trilander to provide inter-island service, replaced in 1987 by a Shorts 330 (locally known as "the box").

You can read it all here if you like: LACSA and the birth of Cayman Airways

So now we know a little bit more of Cayman's history.... :wink:

BracGypsy... :)

Last edited:
I remember Red Carpet Airlines well. My first trip to Grand Cayman was on Red Carpet out of St Pete. Seemed to take forever but they had permission to fly over Cuba and that was nice, got to see that Island from the air. Also made a trip to dive Cuba on Red Carpet in the last 70', still ranks about the best ever for me. But it was Red Carpet that first introduced me to the Caymans and I have been going ever since. So many memories, so many friends.......

Here is a link to a picture of the airport on Little Cayman, the caption says 'late 70's' but I do not know when the picture was taken, or by whom.....

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/uploads/67251/airport_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom