Great diving and decent internet access?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sabang / Puerto Galera has patchy coverage...didnt seem to matter which provider was being used the island is prone to brown outs. Very slow connection but enough to keep in contact for periods throughout the day. This was also during New Years peak time so that may have been a contributing factor.

Or.... you could just enjoy your holiday, relax, and let the internet get stuffed for a while. Just throwing it out there :wink: There's a certain enjoyment to be found in disconnecting yourself for a while and just kicking back.

Sounds to me like you are bringing your own device to receive? Malapascua does have pretty decent 3G as the tower was fixed (finally) in Feb after the storm. I have Globe Tattoo at home and it is good for skype. If you are planning on using the resorts wifi it can work but you are sharing with others. We have many guests skyping here successfully but I would never guarantee it!

Sogod Bay -- no, no 3g, land-based internet also not great

There definitely IS 3G in Sogod Bay, since Sept 2013, Globe has 3G tower in Liloan which gives decent speeds, it's actually 3.5G HSPA+.. same as in Padre Burgos. The trick is the terrain, you need to have line-of-sight to get good connection. I'm in Lungsodaan, where I use a 5M USB cable to extend my USB stick outside facing the tower, then mount it in a water bottle for protection. Globe's service does degrade at certain times of the day, I find late night - early morning best speeds. Globe also has promised a true 4G service, supposedly the tower is located Tankaan but Yolanda delayed rollout.

Had good internet (about 1.5 years ago) @ both Pura Vida Resort(Dumaguete) & Turtle Bay Resort(Cebu) in the restaurant areas......Great diving too(@ both)

Further to above just did Cebu, Malapasqua and Maolboal 3G was ok coverage, but speed slow.
wireless is all places was patchy but faster.

My experiences in Malapasqua (Oct 2013) in terms of 3G connection was very inconsistent but the diving was really good! Moalboal (Feb & Aug in 2013) seems to be ok (both diving and 3G), Anilao (Apr 2013)has the most consistent 3G relatively but diving is heavily macro focused....

I live on Malapascua and regularly video skype from my phone(globe 3g), so it is definitely doable. Signal can go up and down, so you need to be flexible and calm.

In our restaurant we offer Wifi and people are daily using skype of voice calls and when it's not too busy video - so that works too.

However. I have to say that there is always the chance that the internet and phone signals die completely and you can do nothing more than pick your nose. So be aware of that. And it doesn't make any difference if you bitch and moan to the owner of the property that the wifi isn't working as they can't fix a problem that is to do with the signal :)

Great diving and Internet service (better than what I get at home) at Club Ocellaris in Anilao and Sabang/Puero Galera with Action divers/Banana Moon. I expected great diving but was truly surprised at how good the Internet service was!

Back
Top Bottom