Great Diving - No Biting Insects?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanadianTravelAgent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone!

I love diving, but everywhere we've been I get eaten alive by mosquitos and/or sandflies/no see ums. I seem to get a worse reaction than most. Makes me almost miserable when I'm not in the water. So far the only place that hasn't really bothered me is Provo (and liveaboards). Does anyone know of anywhere in the Caribbean where the insects aren't as bad? We mostly travel in the summer and in Jan or Feb.

Thanks!
CTA

We were on Grand Cayman for a week at the very end of July. We don't remember many mosquitoes, if any at all. If at all, then only a very few in the evening. My wife is a mosquito magnet (great to be around her!), and she doesn't remember a problem.

We were at Sunset House, so no sand -- so no sand flies! :D

Have you tried a liveaboard?

Bugs are much less of an issue on one of them!

Hi everyone!

I love diving, but everywhere we've been I get eaten alive by mosquito's and/or sandflies/no see ums. I seem to get a worse reaction than most. Makes me almost miserable when I'm not in the water. So far the only place that hasn't really bothered me is Provo (and liveaboards). Does anyone know of anywhere in the Caribbean where the insects aren't as bad? We mostly travel in the summer and in Jan or Feb.

Thanks!
CTA

I have been to Curacao twice and have never been bitten by anything.

It should be noted that I don't have any built-in bug deterrent. Where I live in New England they love to chomp on me after dusk.

Last edited:
We did Cozumel in March, and I don't remember any mosquitoes. When we went to the mainland, there were a few, but not like in summer.

TSANDM - we were just in Cozumel in April and there were lots of mosquitos. The resort (Scuba Club) had a guy misting in the evening every couple of days, which seemed to help.

ronbeau - we were in Bonaire in June a few years ago, and I saw more mosquitos than I have any other destination. Every night, we killed a good dozen INSIDE our room. Several people in our group forgot to use DEET the first night, and got huge bites on their legs. One girl looked like she had a dozen on each leg!

to the OP - if you are going anywhere in Caribbean, you are probably going to see bugs. Tropical climates, humidity, rain... they all breed bugs. Some oceanfront resorts have less because of ocean breeze, but that doesn't always mean there will be less bugs. Hurricane season is worst, due to rain showers almost every day.

Liveaboards are really the only place where you are not going to have issues with bugs in summer months.

robin:D

This year in my back yard there have been no bugs(Islamorada). That being said, I attended an outdoor memorial service in Key largo and withing minutes people had 15-20 skeeters on them.

We went to Bonaire years ago and I was shocked how skeeter free it was

I've been to Saba several times and don't recall bugs. I'll be there again next month, as well as Statia, so I'll have to let you know.

Bonaire in January, no Mozzies.
Howeevr I do follow a routine
If in doubt spray the room on arrival, especially bathroom, behind the curtins, in the wardrobe, etc.
Don't ever have windows open and lights on.
Turn on Aircon before dusk and switch off when I go to sleep.
Always close the door before I switch on the lights.
Never eat outside at dusk, in general get inside and eat at that time.

With care you can avoid problems.

You'll notice some people say no problem Bonaire and Curacao (or whereever) and some say terrible - it really depends on the time of year, and to a certain extent where you are staying. Dry season should be best anywhere. Liveaboard is a good way to avoid the bugs anytime, at least as long as you're on the boat! Being outside at dusk is good to avoid. Someplace with breezes is helpful. Eating outdoors in the evening is good to avoid most places. (While Grand Cayman usually seems ok to me, at least the west end, eating outside can still be a problem.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom