Great White attack this weekend-surfer survives w/little injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lucky dude !

I've seen the board that Greg Long (local San Clemente surfer) was riding when he was attacked by a big Tiger shark last year at Rocky Point. All I can say is Holy Freak'n $#!t !

Chuck Tribolet:
Mo2vation, he didn't even need to go to the hospital. The ambulance crew released him
at the scene.

Peter C: There have been NO fatal attacks on SCUBA divers in California. See
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/sharkdata2.pdf Freedivers are another story.
That makes me feel a little safer, till I think about the other parts of the world where a GW has killed divers. But yeah, I know it's extremely rare, and I'm thankful I'm not a freediver or surfer!
Still, some scuba diver someday is gonna be the first....

Essential GW survival tactics.

When a GW lurks closely by:

Always have a dive knife. It will increase your chances of survival immensely after you stab your buddy with it and swim away. :D

Chuck Tribolet:
Peter C: There have been NO fatal attacks on SCUBA divers in California. See
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/sharkdata2.pdf Freedivers are another story.

Chuck, you are correct in many ways, and I was mistaken, the death on hookah was at San Miguel, but he did die in CA under water using an air system.

20 12/09/94 Island - San Miguel San Miguel Island, Harris Point hookah fatal

This is a good read on one attack.
http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/white_shark/mistaken_identity.htm

The excel spreadsheet found here can be easily filtered to provide all kinds of great info.
www.sharkattackfile.net/GSAF5.xls

Here is one of our most common dive sites, and depths.
89 02/07/82 Sonoma Stillwater Cove scuba major 40

GW sharks have fascinated me long before I ever started surfing or scuba diving.

Peter_C:
Chuck, you are correct in many ways, and I was mistaken, the death on hookah was at San Miguel, but he did die in CA under water using an air system.

20 12/09/94 Island - San Miguel San Miguel Island, Harris Point hookah fatal

This is a good read on one attack.
http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/white_shark/mistaken_identity.htm

The excel spreadsheet found here can be easily filtered to provide all kinds of great info.
www.sharkattackfile.net/GSAF5.xls

Here is one of our most common dive sites, and depths.
89 02/07/82 Sonoma Stillwater Cove scuba major 40

GW sharks have fascinated me long before I ever started surfing or scuba diving.

But can we stop with the mountain (5,000 meters) of extra reading these reports force us unto, and the train (274.3 KPH) of thought continuously derailed by all of the metric crapola and latin nonsense they inject? This is a classic from the story:

"For example, when attacking a California Sea Lion (Zalophus californianus) at the surface, the White Shark is typically all business: smashing into the hapless animal with tremendous force – often lifting the 200- to 600-pound (100- to 300-kilogram) pinniped three feet (one metre) or more out of the water – typically knocking it unconscious or killing it outright...

Enough already. If a reader can't get a clue and needs to actually leave the story to determine precicesly which pinniped the California Sea Lion is, well, OK then. And if you need the story translate three feet to one meter, get a slide rule clownboy.

Of course, the story calls out the pinnipeds by their latin whatever names, but we're left to guess what the Great White Shark's name is. I think. I couldn't find in in the first few paragraphs, and I lost interest after the fourth or fifth worthless reference to meters.

It taxes me to read stuff like this.

---
Ken

Ken, the rest of the world speaks in meters. Get used to it, my friend. It isn't just us metric-challenged Americans who reads these.

Mo2vation:
derailed by all of the metric crapola and latin nonsense they inject?
Ken

Well these stories below left out the screwed up standard system the stupid American's still insist on using. Oh darn wait, I am a stupid American and can not do fractions, but can easily move decimel places and much prefer the scientific way of the metric system. :D

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/unprovoked_diver.htm

Todays article in our local paper said this was the fourth time he had a Great White experience while surfing. With a previous encounter launching him three feet out of the water.

All I can say is WOW. One of my good friends has surfed here his whole life and even started a couple of surf shops in Marin and NEVER been bumped or bothered by a shark.

Peter_C:
Todays article in our local paper said this was the fourth time he had a Great White experience while surfing. With a previous encounter launching him three feet out of the water.

All I can say is WOW. One of my good friends has surfed here his whole life and even started a couple of surf shops in Marin and NEVER been bumped or bothered by a shark.

The GWS probably smelled the urine in his wetsuit before he attacked. And probably smelled even more than that after the attack. :11:

dannobee:
The GWS probably smelled the urine in his wetsuit before he attacked. And probably smelled even more than that after the attack. :11:

I have never peed in my wetsuits, but do have a pee valve on my drysuit. I know that is one of the shark attractants to the pinnipeds is urine smells. At least with a drysuit the urine exits and does not linger "quite" as much.

Back
Top Bottom